Iowa delegation congratulates Tom Vilsack on confirmation as U.S. Secretary of Agriculture.

Former Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack previously served as the U.S. Secretary of Agriculture during the Obama presidency, and will resume his role under the Biden administration.

Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack speaks in favor of Hillary Clinton in Cedar Rapids on, Monday Jan 4, 2016. Tom Vilsack is an Iowa democrat that has served in office since 2009. (Jordan Gale/The Daily Iowan)

Natalie Dunlap, Politics Reporter

On Tuesday, the U.S. Senate voted 92-7 to confirm former Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack as the U.S. Secretary of Agriculture. Vilsack  served eight years in the role during the Obama administration. 

Vilsack supported President Joe Biden in the 2020 election and endorsed him before the Iowa caucuses.

Members of Iowa’s delegation released statements congratulating Vilsack.

U.S. Sens. Chuck Grassley and Joni Ernst, R-Iowa, both voted to confirm him. Ernst said in her statement Vilsack must advocate for Iowa farmers and families and that she did not want to see him bend to a liberal agenda. 

“Secretary Vilsack must be a strong and loud advocate for Iowa farmers, the biofuels community, and rural America as a whole… If Secretary Vilsack decides to give into the Liberal left — their policies that would hurt animal agriculture and devastate our biofuels industry and RFS — Iowans will remember,” Ernst wrote.

In interviews with The Daily Iowan in January, both Grassley and Ernst said they hope to build on Trump-era agriculture policies, like expanding the Phase 1 trade agreement with China and the use of biofuels. Ernst said she had met with Vilsack in January to talk about how they can work together.

https://twitter.com/RepCindyAxne/status/1364304805594861569

Rep. Cindy Axne, D-Iowa, the state’s only Democratic representative, said Vilsack will be a leader and critical voice for rural America. 

“Our rural communities have suffered too much in the last four years – from trade wars to abuse of the Renewable Fuel Standard – we need national leadership that will support rural America and expand economic opportunity to all,” Axne said. 

Axne, who is on the House Agriculture Committee, told The Daily Iowan in January that one of her biggest agriculture priorities will be to implement policy to help farmers farm more sustainably, such as providing incentives for farmers to sequester carbon.

Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vermont, joined six Republicans in voting against the confirmation, saying he was looking for someone who would work more vigorously against corporate agriculture and to protect family farms. 

During Vilsack’s confirmation hearing he said he now supports a more equitable and regenerative food system.

In November 2020, a coalition of farm, environment, food safety, and animal welfare organizations sent a letter to the Biden transition team supporting Rep. Marcia Fudge, D-Ohio, for Secretary of Agriculture. The Center for Food Safety opposed Vilsack’s potential nomination in December 2020, citing Vilsack’s support of chemically dependent industrial agriculture that resulted in pesticides being released into the environment. 

Beginning in 2017, Vilsack also served as the President and CEO of the U.S. Dairy Export Council, where he worked to build sales and consumer trust in U.S. dairy.