What Does an Enterprise Architect Do Exactly?

By 2021, 40% of organizations will be using enterprise architects. These professionals help the IT department and the organization as a whole.

Whether you want to enter this promising career path or are a business owner need of the professional service it provides, you need to know the answer to one question; what does an enterprise architect do?

The range of required duties varies, but they all contribute to keeping an organization and its IT functions up and running. They include communicating with employees and stakeholders, making plans, and managing systems.

Enterprise architects are becoming an important part of several businesses as dependence on technology increases. Read on to learn what they are, what they do, and how to become one.

What Is an Enterprise Architect?

Before you learn what an enterprise architect does, there are two other important things you must understand. You must learn what enterprise architecture entails and how enterprise architects use it in their position.

Enterprise architecture is the process of creating models for how all of an organization’s data and information should be stored, managed, and sent. This plan makes it easier to manage and gives all staff the information they need.

Most organizations aren’t able to manage their enterprise architecture on their own. They manage too much data or have too much technology for them to handle themselves. That’s why they hire a professional to handle it.

An enterprise architect specializes in enterprise architecture. They use that knowledge to create the best possible IT environment for businesses.

What Does an Enterprise Architect Do?

An enterprise architect’s role depends on the company they work for. 27% work in computer systems design, 10% in telecommunication, 8% in management, 5% in insurance, and 4% in education.

There are certain duties an enterprise architect will be expected to perform regardless of the industry they work in. A few of the most important include communicating, planning, and managing.

Communicating

The image of an enterprise architect may make one think of a professional stuck behind their desk all day. The truth is that they must have great social skills.

Enterprise architects must be able to communicate with staff members. This helps to ensure they understand current IT plans and any changes made to them.

Enterprise architects may be placed into management positions and given responsibility over a team. They must communicate the enterprise architecture they’re implementing to all the members.

They may also communicate with individuals outside of the organization such as stakeholders and business partners. An enterprise architect can demonstrate the business benefits of a particular type of enterprise architecture.

Planning

Enterprise architects are responsible for planning how to use and manage all the IT functions of an organization. They must find a way to make them affordable and efficient as possible.

It’s up to the enterprise architect to develop the plan. They have a great deal of freedom in deciding what is best. They must balance this against the needs of the organization they work for and its customers.

The plan must be the most effective utilization of enterprise architecture possible. It must address any issues the organization currently faces. If there’s a better way to use available resources, it should be included.

Each plan an enterprise architect comes up with must align with the goals of the business they work for. Perhaps they want to decrease the time it takes to send and receive information. Switching to a faster server may be an effective strategy.

Enterprise architects must also be able to communicate their plans to everyone else. Anyone who doesn’t understand all the steps won’t be able to implement them in their work.

Management

Creating a strategy for how to manage an organization’s IT is only the first step. After that, it’s the enterprise architect’s responsibility to implement it.

They must make sure all the necessary steps in their plan are taken every day. Each member of the organization must participate, including the enterprise architect themselves.

The enterprise architect must all keep all electronic systems the organization uses running at their best at all times. This could include computers, internet servers, data storage devices, and more.

These management duties also include maintenance and repairs. If anything stops working, it must be attended to immediately. Preemptive management is important as well.

These are only some of the complex tasks that an enterprise architect does on a daily basis.

How Can I Become an Enterprise Architect?

Once you know what an enterprise architect does, you can start to consider if the position is right for you. The requirements aren’t more stringent than other positions, but the competition is fierce.

Beginning an enterprise architect career doesn’t require extensive experience or training. Candidates should have at minimum a bachelor’s degree in information technology.

Your abilities and quality of work are what will make you an attractive candidate. Important skills to cultivate include:

• Technical skills
  • Interpersonal communication
  • Project management
  • Financial modeling
  • Customer service
  • Time management

It’s also important to stay as up-to-date on emerging technology trends as possible. If you’re knowledgeable about them, you’ll be able to help businesses understand them.

The demand for these competitive positions continues to rise. A high level of knowledge is the main element that will set you apart when applying. Find out more about how to get an enterprise architecture job here.

Where Can I Learn More?

Enterprise architects are essential employees that keep organizations from crumbling under the weight of their IT departments and the amount of data they manage. Their numbers continue to increase due to their necessity.

There isn’t a single answer to a question like what does an enterprise architect do. These professionals tend to work in a wide variety of industries. Their responsibilities include communicating, planning, and managing IT strategies.

Becoming an enterprise architect requires basic education. Focus instead on developing technical knowledge and essential skills. The more you know about the systems you work with, the more attractive a candidate you’ll become.

Read the rest of our content and keep checking back for more information.