Johnson County, Iowa City buildings except courthouse to shutter beginning Wednesday

Johnson County and Iowa City government buildings will close beginning on Wednesday.

Johnson+County+Board+of+Supervisors+vote+on+the+second+reading+of+the+Unified+Development+Ordinance+at+the+Johnson+County+Treasurer+office+on+Thursday+December+12%2C+2019.+

Megan Nagorzanski

Johnson County Board of Supervisors vote on the second reading of the Unified Development Ordinance at the Johnson County Treasurer office on Thursday December 12, 2019.

Sarah Watson, Managing Editor

All Johnson County government buildings except the county courthouse will close until March 31 starting at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, according to an emailed statement from the Johnson County Board of Supervisors’ office on Tuesday. 

Johnson County employees will continue to report to work and provide county services, the email stated, adding that many services are available online, by phone, or through email or mail. 

The closure is in line with Gov. Kim Reynolds’ declaration of a public health disaster emergency, which called Tuesday for the closure of all restaurants, gyms, adult care facilities, and places with large gatherings of people.

“Staff will still be available to answer calls and emails,” Johnson County Auditor Travis Weipert wrote on Twitter, adding that candidates looking to file for the June 2 primary must call the auditor’s office to schedule a time to file.

Iowa public health officials have confirmed 23 cases of the virus in Iowa, including 15 in Johnson County. The source of one of the Johnson County cases couldn’t be determined, meaning it is classified as a case of “community spread.”

Iowa City City Hall will also close beginning Wednesday, an email Tuesday stated. The front lobby of City Hall will remain open to allow access to the Iowa City Police Department, which will continue to operate normally, the release stated. All other City offices in City Hall, including Revenue for paying utility bills, will be closed to the public. Services can be taken care of over the phone, online, or through the mail.

The City is making other changes to its daily operations to mitigate the spread of COVID-19.

• Utility payments can be done online, by phone, dropped off in a dropbox, or mailed.
  • City officials do not expect any changes to rent payments at this time.
  • Rental inspections will be postponed until further notice.
  • The Transit Office and the Iowa City Landfill and Recycling Center will also close.

“The City remains focused on ensuring the continuity of critical operations: the police and fire departments, providing clean water, sewer services, trash and recycling collection, and transit. Our staff is working diligently to put plans in place that these vital services remain active,” the release stated.

This story is evolving and will be updated as more information becomes available.