Women’s basketball looks for strong Senior Night performance

Minnesota comes to Carver-Hawkeye Arena for Iowa’s final home game of the regular season.

Iowa+guard+Kathleen+Doyle+shoots+a+basket+during+a+women%E2%80%99s+basketball+game+between+Iowa+and+Penn+State+at+Carver+Hawkeye+Arena+on+Saturday%2C+Feb.+22%2C+2020.+The+Hawkeyes+defeated+the+Nittany+Lions%2C+100-57.+

Hannah Kinson

Iowa guard Kathleen Doyle shoots a basket during a women’s basketball game between Iowa and Penn State at Carver Hawkeye Arena on Saturday, Feb. 22, 2020. The Hawkeyes defeated the Nittany Lions, 100-57.

Ben Palya, Sports Reporter

It’s been yet another incredible season of Iowa women’s basketball.

The team is crushing expectations on its way to a likely third-place finish in the Big Ten regular season standings and could possibly have home court for the first two rounds of the NCAA Tournament for the second year in a row.

A large part of that is because of an exceptional senior class consisting of Amanda Ollinger, Kathleen Doyle, and Makenzie Meyer. All three have been starters for this year’s team and have been important cogs in the program over their time in the Black and Gold, albeit in their own way.

The three bring together different personality traits, with Doyle being the most outgoing, Ollinger being the more reserved, and Meyer being somewhere in between of the two. However, the three have come together to become not only great teammates but great friends.

“It’s been fun becoming really close with them,” Doyle said. “We all have really different personalities, and it’s been fun to just get to know them and spend all this time with them. They’re both great people, and they’re gonna be friends for life.”

The trio of Hawkeye seniors have gone on different journeys to get to where they are today.

While Meyer and Doyle have been important figures since stepping onto campus, Ollinger has been somewhat of a late bloomer. The senior from Cedar Rapids is having easily the best season of her career, taking advantage of the opportunities presented by roster change.

RELATED: Deep rotation sparks Hawkeyes down the Big Ten stretch

“If you would have told me in a million years I was going to be a backup center in the Big Ten, I would have laughed in your face,” Ollinger said. “But here we are, and I’m just really thankful for the opportunity.”

Ollinger is an engineering major, so balancing school and basketball is something that has been difficult for her. However, her increased focus on basketball has allowed her to grow her love of the game and enjoy her time at Iowa more.

“I think part of [her improvement] is also her not stressing about class as much and just being able to put more of her heart into basketball, because engineering is such a hard major,” Iowa head coach Lisa Bluder said.

The group is looking forward to playing what could potentially be their last game inside Carver-Hawkeye Arena, and while they’ll look to savor the moment, the focus is on getting the job done.

“Just a little more attention about having fun and the last time and just wanting to really embrace it,” Doyle said. “We just have to think about the task at hand and really just enjoy it, and that’s what I try to do every game, so it’s really not any different.”

The last time the two teams met, the Hawkeyes edged out the Golden Gophers, 76-75, in Minneapolis behind 21 points from Monika Czinano. It took a strong fourth quarter where the team outscored Minnesota 19-9 in order to escape with a win.

However, the Golden Gophers are in the middle of a four-game losing streak, and Iowa will be looking to not only make it five in a row, but to win with some style on senior night.

Tonights’s game will tip-off at 6:30 p.m. at Carver-Hawkeye Arena.