Carver-Hawkeye Arena a fortress for women’s basketball

The Hawkeyes have been unbeatable at home over the last two years, and their winning streak at Carver-Hawkeye Arena just hit 33 games.

Iowa+guard+Kathleen+Doyle+shoots+during+a+womens+basketball+game+between+Iowa+and+Nebraska+at+Carver+Hawkeye+Arena+on+Monday+Feb.+6%2C+2020.+The+Hawkeyes+defeated+the+Cornhuskers+76-60.+

Megan Nagorzanski

Iowa guard Kathleen Doyle shoots during a women’s basketball game between Iowa and Nebraska at Carver Hawkeye Arena on Monday Feb. 6, 2020. The Hawkeyes defeated the Cornhuskers 76-60.

Ben Palya, Sports Reporter

Iowa women’s basketball has had an incredible two season stretch.

After a brilliant Elite Eight run led by the great Megan Gustafson, Iowa has surpassed all expectations in what could be an even more exciting season this time around.

Every successful team defends its homecourt well, and Iowa has been no exception during its current 33-game home win streak.

Carver-Hawkeye Arena ranked ninth in average attendance in the country last season, with an average of 6,797 fans. The was good for the highest in the Big Ten, just ahead of Purdue.

The Hawkeyes have always been well supported, but the team’s attendance has continued to reach new heights as the team continues its success. This year’s numbers look strikingly similar to those that the team put up last season.

In order to find the last time Iowa lost at Carver, one would have to go all the way back to Jan. 28, 2018, where the Hawkeyes were dismantled 92-74 by Nebraska in front of a shocked Carver crowd.

Since then, the Hawkeyes have kept their home court winning streak alive.

Last season, fans were truly hard pressed to find a close game in Carver-Hawkeye Arena. Out of the 14 games played at home last season, Iowa State and Nebraska were the only two teams to lose by less than 10 points.

RELATED: Hawkeyes steam past Boilermakers in West Lafayette

Every other team that came to Iowa City found themselves on the receiving end of a blowout loss, with teams such as No. 8 Maryland and No. 14 Rutgers proving no match for Iowa head coach Lisa Bluder’s bunch.

This season however, has been a completely different story. The team has kept fans biting their fingernails at home with the team continuingly using late surges to snag come from behind victories.

This season alone, Iowa has outscored its opponents in all but one fourth quarter at home. Overall, Iowa is outscoring its competition 244-157 in the final quarter.

There is not one specific area that Iowa has well and truly dominated during its home winning streak, but the team has almost always showed up on the offensive end.

The team has scored at least 70 points in all but one contest, this season’s 66-61 win over Maryland. However, it has not always been great shooting that gets the team going on the scoreboard.

Last season, it was Megan Gustafson who gave Iowa the boost on offense it needed. However, Kathleen Doyle has been the main cog throughout the entire home winning streak, playing in nearly every game since 2018 when the streak began.

Looking ahead, it looks likely that Iowa will keep its home winning streak intact through the rest of the season, with three teams Iowa has already beat on the road (Wisconsin, Minnesota and Penn State) visiting Carver-Hawkeye Arena before the season’s end.

The next big test to beat the Hawkeyes on their home turf might just be in the NCAA