Contributed

Contributed

Joe Biden, Former Vice President: “We Take Care of Our Own” by Bruce Springsteen

December 15, 2019

Joe Biden and rock music have one thing in common: they both appeal to the masses. Swiatlowski said this song sounds like a rally. The beginning is upbeat and slightly chaotic, and then Springsteen’s well-known voice swoops in to deliver the message.

Listen: “We Take Care of Our Own” by Bruce Springsteen

As the front-runner, Biden needs to hold on to his lead by connecting to his moderate base and highlighting all the work he has done in public office over his many years of service. “We Take Care of Our Own” is a nod to his dedication to the American public.

Swiatlowski said through this song, Biden is espousing social ethics of the Democratic party while remaining nationalistic. This is clearly seen in the chorus and title of the song.

“We take care of our own

Wherever this flag is flown”

If this upbeat rock song sounds familiar, it’s because President Barack Obama used “We Take Care of Our Own” during his campaign and DNC speech during his 2012 election.

Watch: President Obama’s DNC speech

Biden’s reuse of the song can acknowledge his work as Obama’s Vice President and desire to return to the policies and values of the Obama administration. However, it could come across as Biden gaining votes because of Obama’s popularity, not his own.

According to FiveThirtyEight, an early December poll has Biden in first place with 23% of likely voters.

The Daily Iowan • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in