Elizabeth Warren, Senator from Massachusetts: “Nine to Five” by Dolly Parton

December 15, 2019

Contributed

Contributed

Most of Warren’s campaign is geared towards the average working American. She came from a middle-class family who had to work hard to get by, so it makes sense that Warren’s song is “Nine to Five” by Dolly Parton.

Watch: “Nine to Five” by Dolly Parton

The upbeat song with the pounding piano backbone is the perfect anthem for a champion of the working class. The chorus speaks for itself:

“Workin’ 9 to 5, what a way to make a livin’

Barely gettin’ by, it’s all takin’ and no givin’

They just use your mind and they never give you credit

It’s enough to drive you crazy if you let it”

Swiatlowski said the use of country is also a nod to Warren’s background in Oklahoma and Texas even though she’s a senator for Massachusetts. 

Pause and picture this: Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, and Dolly Parton as ‘80s secretaries, in their shoulder-padded glory, taking down a sexist and tyrannical boss. It can be a dramatic leap from the story of a hard-working American, but the ideas have one thing in common: Dolly Parton.

When Parton starred in the 1980 film “Nine to Five,” she wrote the film’s main song “Nine to Five.” Even though the movie is an iconic and hilarious feminist film, the song, which Warren uses, doesn’t specifically talk about women in the working world. 

There have been zero successful presidential campaigns by women, so it’s still a mystery as to how to use gender in a campaign. Ignore it? Use it? Who knows.

As Swiatlowski said, Warren uses the feminst anthem in a way that doesn’t threaten male fragility. Warren’s walk-on song isn’t feminist on a surface level, but once paired with the movie, it praises women who succeed despite higher standards. It’s like sneaky feminism; it speaks to all of her values while not calling attention to her gender.

Warren is in fourth place with 12% of likely voters.

The Daily Iowan • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in