Cory Booker, Senator from New Jersey: “Better Days” by Bruce Springsteen

December 15, 2019

Contributed

Contributed

The pull towards Bruce Springsteen is understandable, considering the guy made an album called ‘Born in the U.S.A’. on which the cover was tight blue jeans and an American flag. As Swiatlowski said, it’s somewhat on the nose.

Listen: “Better Days” by Bruce Springsteen

Plus both the rock star’s home state is New Jersey, so choosing Springsteen is a nod to the state that elected him to Senate.

Candidates often choose Springsteen for this iconic image, even if his lyrics to the song don’t align with the campaign’s values and goals. For example, Ronald Reagan used the song “Born in the U.S.A.” in his 1984 re-election campaign, even though the song’s narrative is blatantly anti-Vietnam war and criticizes America. 

Watch: Ronald Reagan using the song “Born in the U.S.A.” in his 1984 campaign

While the song “Better Days” shares the ultimate message of hope, it also discusses the current state of political disarray. Swiatlowski said this could reference Hillary Clinton’s loss to Donald Trump in 2016.

“Well my soul checked out missing as I sat listening

To the hours and minutes tickin’ away

Yeah just sittin’ around waitin’ for my life to begin

While it was all just slippin’ away”

Instead of fighting for hope against external adversity, Booker makes the important distinction of fighting for hope against our own complacency. 

Swiatlowski said even if this is Booker’s intention, it is ultimately the chorus that people hear. When Reagan used “Born in the U.S.A.,” his crowds didn’t notice the very critical verses. So what do Booker fans hear?

“Better days

Better days are coming”

Booker is in sixth place with 4% of likely voters.

The Daily Iowan • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in