Bernie Sanders, Independent Senator from Vermont: “Power to the People” by John Lennon

December 15, 2019

Contributed

Contributed

There are few things in this world that conjure the same feeling of hearing the opening note of a gospel choir. It comes as a wall of sound, with dozens of voices simultaneously hitting notes low and high. It’s a beautiful, organized cacophony. 

Listen: “Power to the People” by John Lennon

This united front of different sounds is the perfect way to introduce Sanders, whose choice of “Power to the People” by John Lennon is so on brand it hurts. 

“It’s unlike Biden’s campaign … [Sanders] is not running a national campaign, he’s running more of a democratic or socialist campaign,” Swiatlowski said. “It empowers the people without really mentioning which people.”

The song advocates for taking action and working for radical change, which Sanders himself has done his entire political career. His campaign, which is famously grassroots-based, is funded mostly by donations from average Americans instead of corporations and big donors, so the song is also a nod to those who gave him the power and platform to run for president.

The song even directly references one of Sanders’ policies: raising the minimum wage.

“A million workers working for nothing

You better give ’em what they really own”

In addition to the lyrics, the song is uplifting and upbeat. It maintains a steady and pounding drum beat. People tend to know this song, or at least know John Lennon. The song is repetitive, which works in terms of getting crowds excited.

Sanders is in second place with 22% of likely voters.

The Daily Iowan • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in