Around the Big Ten: Bowl Edition

“Nothing quite like kicking back and watching football on Jan. 1.”

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep

Ohio State running back J.K. Dobbins looks to an official during the Iowa/Ohio State football game in Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 4, 2017. The Hawkeyes defeated the Buckeyes in a storming fashion, 55-24. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Anna Kayser, Sports Editor

Dec. 27

New Era Pinstripe Bowl

Michigan State vs. Wake Forest

2:20 p.m. | ESPN

This is the game Iowa fans watch when they’re sick of talking to family members and are waiting for the real action to start.

San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl

No. 19 Iowa vs. No. 22 USC

7 p.m. | FS1

Iowa fans might complain about going to Florida all the time, but I don’t think they understand that it gets chilly in San Diego when the sun goes down. Pro tip: Even if you don’t think you need a jacket, pack a jacket.

Dec. 28

Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic

No 13 Penn State vs. No. 15 Memphis

11 a.m. | ESPN

Penn State can take comfort in the fact that everyone watching this game is just waiting for Ohio State-Clemson. Always the little brother of the Big Ten East.

PlayStation Fiesta Bowl (CFP Semifinal)

No. 2 Ohio State vs. No. 3 Clemson

7 p.m. | ESPN

The one time Ohio State can’t complain about being left out of the College Football Playoff, and they still find a reason. You didn’t show up for the entire first half against Wisconsin. That’s not the look of a top-ranked team. Get over it.

Dec. 30

Redbox Bowl

Illinois vs. California

3 p.m. | FOX

I couldn’t give a hoot about the other unranked Big Ten bowl game matchups, but this one is going to be interesting. Will Illinois’ fans travel? Will this be a disaster shown on nationwide television or a story of hope for teams that were very bad last year?

Jan. 1

VRBO Citrus Bowl

No. 17 Michigan vs. No. 9 Alabama

12 p.m. | ABC

I had to do a double-take when I saw No. 9 and Alabama in the same line, much less the fact that it’s going up against Jim Harbaugh and his crew of khakis. Both the game and the fact that Alabama is no longer in the playoffs makes this one very fun.

Outback Bowl

No. 16 Minnesota vs. No. 9 Auburn

12 p.m. | ESPN

Things Iowa fans always complain about that Minnesota would NEVER complain about: having a 9-3 (or better) regular season and going to the Outback Bowl.

Rose Bowl Game Presented by Northwestern Mutual

No. 11 Wisconsin vs. No. 7 Oregon

4:10 p.m. | ESPN

I heard a Penn State fan complaining over the week about how it should have gotten into the Rose Bowl. The loss to Illinois aside, Penn State lost to Minnesota and Wisconsin beat Minnesota. It’s the transitive property of reasonable bowl picks at its finest.

Jan. 2

TaxSlayer Gator Bowl

Tennessee vs. Indiana

6 p.m. | ESPN

There’s got to be a better game on than this at 6 p.m. on Jan. 2. I really feel like it’s impossible for there to be a worse game, so it only goes up from here, right?