Andrew Yang, Entrepreneur: “Return of the Mack” by Mark Morrison

December 15, 2019

Contributed

Contributed

Record scratch. Freeze frame. When Yang takes the stage, the song that accompanies him is unlike any other walk-on song. Yang bypassed the typical Springsteen route and instead went with “Return of the Mack.”

Listen: “Return of the Mack” by Mark Morrison

Sensual tones burst from keyboards, synthesizers, and British R&B singer Mack Morrision in a confusing, but not unwelcome anthem. 

“Return of the Mack” is a good song. Even if someone doesn’t like it, it’s hard to resist nodding their head along with the beat. It makes no sense, and that’s why it makes sense. 

Yang is wildly different from his fellow candidates. He doesn’t come from a political background, rather business and tech. His policies, such as the Freedom Dividend (a universal basic income of $1,000 a month to every American adult), are unprecedented. 

The Freedom Dividend is basically a handout, and handouts are taboo in government and politics, Swiatlowski said. Even Bernie Sanders advocates hard work, stressing that nobody who works a full-time job should live in poverty. 

Yang markets this unique idea in an environment where nobody wants to hear it, which shows a level of confidence.

“My guess is that he just likes the song,” Swiatlowski said. “Otherwise, I don’t know how it would be the choice.”

There is a drawback to this song. Some don’t take Yang seriously as a candidate, and blasting the 1997 R&B jam doesn’t exactly increase his credit in this area. 

Even for those who don’t take him seriously as a candidate, it’s easy to listen to Yang because he’s smart, has interesting ideas, and knows how to deliver them. That’s why “Return of the Mack” works for Yang, and Yang only. 

Yang is tied for eighth place with 2% of likely voters.

The Daily Iowan • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in