Becoming an Ultrasound Technician: Your Step by Step Guide

Ultrasound technicians provide a crucial service in the health industry. With the work they do, they help doctors make accurate diagnoses and ensure that babies are safe and healthy throughout pregnancy.

Ultrasound techs are highly trained to use specialized equipment to examine internal organs. They’re able to see what’s happening underneath the surface.

If you want to be a big part of healthcare, you have to go to an ultrasound technician school. It’s not easy, but when you finish, you’ll be rewarded. The median earnings are about $72,000 a year.

Are you ready to learn how to survive your certification program and have a thriving career?

Let’s get started!

Choosing the Right Ultrasound Technician School

The first thing you need to do is to learn the requirements to become an ultrasound technician in your state. Each state has different requirements. Some states want you to take a certification program, while others want to see a two-year degree.

Once you know what the requirements are, you have to choose the right program in your area. You want to make sure that the program you choose will set you up for success.

Take a look at the course curriculum. There should be a broad range of courses that give you experience in different situations. A critical care ultrasound course would prepare you for emergency situations.

You want to see a broad range of options because experience in different areas will help you choose a specialization in your work.

The program should offer plenty of clinical experience and job placement support upon completion of the program.

Get as Much Experience as Possible

During your education, take every possible opportunity to apply what you learned in the classroom. You can get internships at local hospitals, in doctors’ offices, or at healthcare clinics.

Your experience can count as required hours to sit for the certification exam. You’ll also begin to appreciate different settings and know what type of setting works best for you.

Sit for the Certification Exam

In order to get hired as an ultrasound technician, you have to pass a certification exam. The one certification that counts in the field is the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS).

The first exam you have to take is the Sonography Principles & Instrumentation (SPI). This is a general exam. Within five years of taking this exam, you can choose one or more specializations.

You have to qualify in order to take the exam. There are several ways that you can meet the prerequisites that are a combination of education and experience.

Once you pass the exam, you can look for employment.

Take the First Step to Become an Ultrasound Technician

If you want to explore a new career, you should think about becoming an ultrasound technician. You can start your journey to a lucrative career by picking the right ultrasound technician school.

You’ll want a program that provides a wide range of courses and plenty of clinical experience. The program should prepare you well for the certification exam and offer plenty of job opportunities after graduation.

Check out this site often for the latest local news.