Hiawatha man accused of second-degree burglary, two counts of second-degree criminal mischief, and second-degree theft

Rachel Steil, News Reporter

A Hiawatha man has been accused of breaking into a truck and breaking into a home.

Scotty Abram, 31, was charged on Dec. 11 with second-degree burglary, two counts of second-degree criminal mischief, two counts of third-degree burglary of an unoccupied vehicle, second-degree theft, and fifth-degree theft.

A warrant has been out for Abram’s arrest since Dec. 9.

According to the arrest affidavit, Abram entered a parked GMC work truck in the gated parking lot of Carter and Associates in Coralville on Nov. 26. Abram proceeded to speed through the security gate. The truck was then found at 395 Westcor Drive in Coralville, the affidavit said.

Video from the scene shows Abram abandoning the truck, running to a parked car, and leaving the scene.

On Nov. 28, police were called to a residence at 605 7th Ave. in Coralville to respond to a burglary. Police found the back door of the residence kicked in. The victim’s truck in the garage was found with the glove compartment and the center console open, the affidavit said.

Abram’s keys were found at the residence, and burglar’s tools were found in Abram’s car outside of the residence, the affidavit said. Abram admitted to being at the scene of the crime.

Second-degree burglary is a Class-C felony. Second-degree criminal mischief and second-degree theft are both Class-D felonies.