Four-time All-American Brandon Sorensen diagnosed with leukemia

Sorensen is a member of the Hawkeye Wrestling Club.

The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Allan Smith

Iowa’s 149-pound Brandon Sorensen beats Navy’s Jared Prince during Session 1 of the NCAA Division 1 Wrestling Championships at Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio on Thursday, March 15, 2018. Sorensen won by decision 11-6. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Anna Kayser, Sports Editor

Four-time All-American Brandon Sorensen announced Tuesday that he has begun treatment for acute lymphoblastic leukemia.

“I am prepared to beat this disease, and there is no wait,” Sorensen said in a release. “The challenge is right in front of me and I am all-in. I know I am not alone in this fight. I have the very best doctors, resources, and family you could possibly hope for, and I know that we will beat this cancer together. There is no choice. We will move forward with success.”

Sorensen wrestled with the Hawkeyes from 2015-18 and placed second in the 2016 NCAA championships. Since graduating in 2018, he has been a member of the Hawkeye Wrestling Club.

“Brandon Sorensen is not fighting this alone,” head coach Tom Brands said in a release. “I can guarantee everyone of that. We are with him lock-step, and by ‘we’ I mean this entire program, from his teammates and coaches to the alumni, fans, and administration. Brandon is as solid of a person as you will ever meet; personally, professionally, athletically, and socially. He has never backed away from an opponent and he will not back down from this.”