By the numbers: Iowa women’s basketball

The loss of Megan Gustafson and other key players from last season has allowed new players to step up this year.

Iowa guard Kathleen Doyle dribbles during a women’s basketball game between Iowa and Princeton at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Wednesday, November 20, 2019. The Hawkeyes defeated the Tigers, 77-75 in overtime.

Isaac Goffin, Sports Reporter

The 2019 Iowa’s women’s basketball looks a lot different than last season with the loss of Megan Gustafson, Hannah Stewart, and Tania Davis.

The departure of these players has allowed other players, both older and newer, to step up. Also, two players are climbing up the career program leaderboards in different statistical categories.

So, before 5-2 Iowa plays against Clemson at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Wednesday, it’s worth looking back at some key numbers from key players.

3 – Players that led Iowa in scoring in at least one game

Last season, Gustafson led the Hawkeyes in scoring in every game except one.

Though it’s early on this season, three players have already accomplished that feat.

As expected, senior Kathleen Doyle has led the Hawkeyes in scoring in multiple games, such as when she put up 15 points against Florida Atlantic in the season opener — which also happened to be the night she scored her 1,000th career point. She also was Iowa’s leading scorer against Princeton, when she had 21 points, and against Washington, when she had 19 points.

Senior Makenzie Meyer has also led the Hawkeyes in scoring in three of their games. She had 21 points against North Alabama and 17 points against Northern Iowa. But her best performance came against Towson, when she scored a career-high 29 points, 15 of which came from behind the 3-point line.

Sophomore Monika Czinano is the other player to have led the Hawkeyes in scoring during a game. She had 16 points against Cincinnati, which is a career-high.

57 – Points from freshman Gabbie Marshall

In her first collegiate game, Marshall scored 11 points, which was the fourth most for the Hawkeyes that night. This was a sign of things to come, as she is now fourth on the team and first among freshmen in points.

Her season-high came against North Alabama when she scored 13 points. She started that game and played for 31 minutes.

Another nice game of hers came against Towson, when she scored 11 points, dished out four assists, and had three steals.

RELATED: Poor shooting plagues Hawkeye women in loss to Washington

557 – Assists in Doyle’s career

Ever since Doyle arrived at Iowa, she has been dishing out assists. She has the freshman assist record for the Hawkeyes at 148 and her 199 assists she recorded the next season is second among sophomores in Iowa history.

This is starting to pay off now, as she is 20 assists away from passing Cara Consuegra for second all-time in program history in assists. That’s likely where she will finish up in the all-time standings, as Samantha Logic has the program record at 898.

173 – 3-pointers in Meyer’s career

At the start of the season, Meyer had made 155 3-pointers in her career, which ranked 10th in program history. Seven games into her senior campaign, she has moved up to seventh in program history.

She has a great opportunity to move up to sixth in program history, as she only needs to make 16 more 3-pointers to pass Kristi Smith.

If she continues hitting 3’s this season at her current rate, she could finish her career in the top five in program history, as the current player in fifth place — Wendy Ausdemore — made 221 3-pointers in her career.

]