3 Reasons Why Dual Diagnosis Rehab Centers Are So Important

Addiction is a complex mental illness. If it weren’t, sobriety wouldn’t be such a challenge.

The fact is that addiction often doesn’t work on its own. It can combine with other mental illnesses, creating a situation called a dual diagnosis to make the situation even more challenging.

The good news is that dual diagnosis rehab centers are available to help. Here’s why they’re so essential.

1. Dual Diagnosis is Common

There are many reasons why people develop addictions, but mental health often plays a role. For this reason, dual diagnosis is more common than most people realize.

According to the 2018 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, 20.3 million Americans have a substance use disorder. 9.2 million of them have another mental illness too. That puts the dual diagnosis rate at close to 50%.

For this large number of people with addiction, only a dual diagnosis center has the tools to give them all the healing they need.

2. Sobriety for the Long-Term

Everyone who has battled with substance abuse knows that sobriety is an ongoing project. It’s a choice you need to make every day.

No substance abuse disorder arises without a reason. People typically have certain triggers or circumstances that make them more likely to use and relapse. This is why rehab centers help patients find ways to change their surroundings after rehab, so they’re less likely to fall into old habits.

For people with mental health conditions, symptoms will often trigger their substance use. It’s easy to see why someone struggling with depression or anxiety would turn to substances to dull the pain.

A dual diagnosis center can help these patients reduce their symptoms while they establish sobriety. When they leave rehab, they’ll have the tools they need to manage their condition without addictive substances.

3. Managing the Family Illness

You’ve probably heard the saying that addiction doesn’t just affect the person with a substance abuse disorder. It affects their entire family and their other loved ones.

This is true, and loved ones play a vital part in a person’s recovery. For people with dual diagnoses, their families play an even larger role.

Because mental illness is such a powerful trigger for substance abuse, it’s important for a patient’s support system to understand that illness. They need to know the symptoms to watch for and recognize how to help so the person doesn’t relapse.

A dual diagnosis rehab center like these luxury drug rehab centers will go beyond treating the patient. They can also educate the family about the patient’s condition and how to support their mental health.

Getting the Most Benefit from Dual Diagnosis Rehab Centers

Dual diagnosis rehab centers are a large part of the landscape that is fighting addiction in the US. They understand the complex way substance abuse interacts with mental illness and they have reliable methods that can help dual diagnosis patients.

If you want to learn more about substance abuse and other mental illnesses, don’t stop here. Check out more related articles on our blog.