No. 1 Iowa wrestling dominates No. 6 Wisconsin, 32-3

In Big Ten win No. 100 for head coach Tom Brands, the Hawkeyes took nine of 10 matches to down its first top-10 opponent.

Iowa’s 125-pound Spencer Lee wrestles Wisconsin’s Michael Cullen during a wrestling match between No.1 Iowa and No. 6 Wisconsin at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Sunday, Dec. 1, 2019. Lee won by technical fall in 3:13.

Anna Kayser, Sports Editor

Head coach Tom Brands earned his 100th Big Ten dual meet on Sunday night as the No. 1 Hawkeyes took down No. 6 Wisconsin, 32-3.

Iowa had two bonus points matches, including a third-period fall by No. 3 Michael Kemerer. It’s only loss came at 184-pounds, when Cash Wilcke was beat in a second sudden victory.

125 – No. 1 Spencer Lee tech. fall Michael Cullen, 16-0

Lee opened up the match with a takedown and followed it up with three four-point nearfalls in the first period alone. A two-point reversal to start the second period ended the match early for his second technical fall and third bonus-points match of the season.

133 – No. 2 Austin DeSanto dec. No. 1 Seth Goss, 6-2

DeSanto stayed in an attack mode through the first two period, notching three takedowns to Goss’ two escapes. He lost a good chuck of riding time when Goss stayed on top in the third period and put DeSanto in defensive mode, but no points were scored to hold the 6-2 decision.

141 – No. 9 Max Murin dec. No. 10 Tristan Moran, 3-2

After a takedown gave Murin a 2-1 lead in the second period, Moran came back with his second escape to tie it up at 2-2. Murin opened up the third period with an escape and held on until the end of the match for the decision.

149 – No. 3 Pat Lugo dec. No. 17 Cole Martin, 5-3

With a 2-1 lead going into the second period,  Lugo  gave himself a larger lead early with an escape and a takedown. Martin came back with two escapes, but it wasn’t enough to overcome the deficit.

157 – No. 4 Kaleb Young dec. Garrett Model, 12-6

The first minute of this match featured a takedown, a Model two-point reversal, a stall warning and a review for locked hands. Tied 2-2 going into the second minute, Young went up by three points after an escape and a takedown. Two more takedowns and a two-point reversal later, Young secured the win.

165 – No. 2 Alex Marinelli dec. No. 3 Evan Wick, 4-2

Marinelli notched a takedown in the first period and was able to hold a 2-1 lead through to the third. Wick tied it up with his second escape, but with less than 30 seconds to go Marinelli took him down again for the win.

174 – No. 3 Michael Kemerer fall Jared Krattinger, 5:47

Kemerer had to pin his opponent twice, but it finally stuck in the third period. To end the first, Kemerer tallied four-points on a nearfall that turned into a pin after time expired. With five takedowns already, Kemerer took him down again for the official fall with 1:13 left in the match.

184 – Johnny Sebastian dec. Cash Wilcke, 7-5 (SV2)

Wilcke opened the match with a takedown, but battled through with Sebastian until the end of regulation. In the second sudden victory Sebastian had the advantage and took him down for Wisconsin’s first win of the night.

197 – No. 3 Jacob Warner dec. Taylor Watkins, 5-2

Warner held a 3-2 lead up until the final seconds of the match. He finished it out with an exclamation point, scoring a takedown as time expired.

285 – No. 12 Tony Cassioppi dec. No. 2 Trent Hillger, 3-2

Cassioppi went on the offensive early, taking Hillger down in the first period. Hillger countered with an escape soon after, and Cassioppi regained his two-point lead with an escape in the second which proved to be the difference in the match.