Week 14 halftime reactions — Iowa vs. Nebraska

Iowa’s big plays have propelled it in front of Nebraska, but its mistakes have kept the Huskers in the game.

Iowa+running+back+Tyler+Goodson+scores+a+touchdown+during+the+football+game+against+Nebraska+at+Memorial+Stadium+on+Friday%2C+November+29%2C+2019.+

Katina Zentz

Iowa running back Tyler Goodson scores a touchdown during the football game against Nebraska at Memorial Stadium on Friday, November 29, 2019.

Pete Ruden and Pete Mills

Big plays boost run game

Iowa posted one of its best rushing performances of the season in just the first quarter against Nebraska on Friday.

Highlighted by a 55-yard touchdown run by Tyler Goodson and a 45-yard scamper for six on a reverse by Ihmir Smith-Marsette, Iowa rushed for 152 yards in the first quarter. That marks its best performance on the ground in a game since it put up 351 against Middle Tennessee State on Sept. 28.

Smith-Marsette’s score came on Iowa’s second drive after the Hawkeye defense forced a three-and-out on Nebraska’s opening drive.

Quarterback Nate Stanley handed the ball to Tyler Goodson, who pitched it to Smith-Marsette, allowing the speedy wideout to get to the outside with Stanley leading the way down the field.

Shortly after, Goodson capped off a two-play drive with his 55-yard score by simply bursting through a hole to the right side of the line and breaking one tackle.

Add in Smith-Marsette’s 95-yard kick return touchdown that gave Iowa a 24-10 lead, and it becomes even more clear that big plays have lifted the Hawkeyes.

Iowa enters halftime with 202 total yards — including 163 on the ground — compared to Nebraska’s 114.

If the Hawkeye offense can continue to finish drives with touchdowns and the defense does what it’s done all season, Iowa could keep the Heroes Trophy in Iowa City for the fifth-straight year.

-Pete Ruden

Mistakes hurt Iowa in first half despite offensive show

Iowa proved itself to be bigger, faster, and stronger in the first half against Nebraska, but costly mistakes kept the Hawkeyes from putting the game away early.

Nebraska’s only points in the first half came by way of a poor punt and a tipped pass that went for a touchdown — mistakes that plagued Iowa despite its solid offensive performance.

After a three-and-out deep in its own territory in the first quarter, Hawkeye punter Michael Sleep-Dalton — perhaps due to the stiff weather — responded with only a 27-yard punt, allowing Nebraska to start a drive on its own 37-yard line.

The subsequent Nebraska drive was similar to its other drives in the first half, as it only went seven plays for 13 total yards. But that was enough to get the Huskers on the scoreboard after a 41-yard field goal from Matt Waldoch.

Iowa’s skill players continued to pound away at Nebraska, and big plays kept the Hawkeyes on top through the rest of the quarter. But another costly mistake helped Nebraska keep the game relatively close in the second quarter.

Iowa held a 17-3 lead in the as it started a drive in its own territory. A Nate Stanley pass intended for Ihmir Smith-Marsette was tipped up and returned for a touchdown by Nebraska’s Cam Taylor-Britt. What could’ve been an early putaway drive for Iowa resulted in its lead narrowing to only one score.

Once again, Iowa’s own costly mistakes — not necessarily anything done right by Nebraska — allowed the Huskers to keep it close. If it can mitigate these mistakes in the second half, Iowa should have no problem holding onto its lead in the second half.

-Pete Mills

Twitter reactions