Hawkeyes fall in Las Vegas Invitational Championship Game

After overcoming a 16-point deficit, San Diego State held on to defeat Iowa 83-73.

Katina Zentz

Iowa guard CJ Fredrick drives the ball during the men’s basketball game against Cal Poly at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Sunday, November 24, 2019. The Hawkeyes defeated the Mustangs 85-59.

Robert Read, Assistant Sports Editor

After defeating No. 12 Texas Tech on Nov. 28, the Iowa men’s basketball team kept the good times rolling in the Las Vegas Invitational Championship Game on Nov. 29.

Then the second half started.

With 3:05 remaining in the first half, Iowa led 37-21 over undefeated San Diego State. Heading into the locker room, the Hawkeyes were on top 41-32.

In the second half, the Aztecs caught fire. San Diego State shot 52 percent from the field in the final 20 minutes and outscored Iowa 51-32.

San Diego State’s run in the second half was in large part thanks to Malachi Flynn.

He went off for 28 points in the second half after going scoreless in the first half. He shot 8-of-13 from the field in the second half, 9-for-9 from the free-throw line.

C.J. Fredrick led the way offensively for Iowa. He scored a team-high 16 points on 6-of-10 shooting, including 2-of-5 from beyond the 3-point line.

Iowa will next take the court on Dec. 3 against Syracuse in New York as part of the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.