Meyer scores career high in Iowa’s victory over Towson

Four Hawkeyes scored in double digits as Iowa defeated the Tigers 100-72.

Shivansh Ahuja

Iowa guard Makenzie Meyer drives to the rim during a women’s basketball game between Iowa and Princeton at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Wednesday, November 20, 2019. The Hawkeyes defeated the Tigers, 77-75, in overtime.

Isaac Goffin, Sports Reporter

The Iowa women’s basketball team picked up right where it left off on Wednesday and cruised to its second win in the Puerto Rico Classic. The Hawkeyes defeated Towson 100-72 behind senior guard Makenzie Meyer’s career-high 29 points.

Meyer went 11-of-15 from the field, including 5-of-7 from 3-point range. She also had two rebounds and three assists.

“I’m happy for Makenzie,” Iowa head coach Lisa Bluder said in a release. “She shot the ball well and from different areas. She shot the ball well from 3, but also attacked the glass and had nice back-door cuts.”

Offensively, the Hawkeyes were lights out, shooting 56.3 percent from the field, including 43.5 percent from 3-point range. In the second half, the Hawkeyes scored 59 points. This was the first time the Hawkeyes have scored 100 points since November of last season against North Carolina Central.

Three other Hawkeyes scored in the double digits, as sophomore Monika Czinano scored 12 points, and freshmen Gabbie Marshall and McKenna Warnock each tallied 11 points. Every player on the team got to play in the game.

Thanksgiving provided the Hawkeyes a chance to feast on the boards, as they grabbed 41 rebounds. Czinano and redshirt freshman guard Kate Martin led the team in rebounds with seven each. Also, as a team, the Hawkeyes continued to share the ball as they did on Wednesday, as they had 25 assists, with three players tying for the team lead with four.

“I was happy we had almost nine people in double figure minutes,” Bluder said in a release. “When you’re playing three games in four days, it is nice to be able to give kids some rest. That will help us hopefully prepare for Washington on Saturday.”