Stone becomes latest in long line of standout Iowa defensive backs

Iowa defensive back Geno Stone goes up for an interception during a football game between Iowa and Michigan at the Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, Michigan on Saturday, October 5, 2019. The Wolverines defeated the Hawkeyes 10-3.

Wyatt Dlouhy

Wyatt Dlouhy

Wyatt Dlouhy

Geno Stone was lightly recruited at by Power 5 schools, but he never stopped working. Now, he's one of the Big Ten’s best players.

November 26, 2019

Geno Stone only had one Power 5 offer out of high school.

The New Castle, Pennsylvania, native never received a scholarship offer from his home school, Penn State. Another Big Ten team — Michigan State — canceled his visit after the team reached its scholarship limit at defensive back.

Stone, frustrated with the recruiting process, committed to Kent State and was ready to close the door on other schools. Then the Hawkeyes came calling.

Iowa’s junior safety is now one of the best defensive backs in the Big Ten and the latest in a long line of talented Hawkeyes in the defensive backfield.

It didn’t come easy, but Stone wouldn’t want it that way.

The Daily Iowan • Copyright 2020 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in