Hawkeyes down Illini in Kinnick finale

Iowa ended Illinois’ four-game winning streak on Saturday by picking up a victory in its last game in Kinnick in 2019.

Katina Zentz

Iowa running back Tyler Goodson scores a touchdown during the football game against Illinois on Saturday, November 23, 2019. (Katina Zentz/The Daily Iowan)

Pete Ruden, Pregame Editor

Iowa ended its Kinnick Stadium schedule on a high note on Nov. 23.

Behind the arm of Nate Stanley and another stellar performance from the defense, the Hawkeyes defeated Illinois, 19-10, to end the Illini’s four-game winning streak.

After getting out to a 16-10 lead in the fourth quarter, trying to keep the Illini from taking the lead, Kristian Welch forced a fumble by Illinois quarterback Brandon Peters — who had been tearing Iowa apart on the ground — and Jack Koerner recovered.

Iowa had previously punted on a potential putaway drive, and the turnover helped the Hawkeyes end the game.

Chunk plays helped Iowa take the game over from the beginning.

Quarterback Nate Stanley’s first three completions piled up at least 18 yards, and Tyler Goodson gave the Hawkeyes a 7-0 lead with a touchdown on the Hawkeyes’ first drive.

Stanley finished 18-of-35 for 308 yards and an interception, and Ihmir Smith-Marsette — Iowa’s biggest beneficiary of the big plays — accumulated 121 yards on 4 receptions.

Kicker Keith Duncan added to the scoring by making four field goals. His third was his 26th, breaking the Big Ten’s single-season record.

On defense, Matt Hankins picked off a pass in the end zone to end an Illini drive, and Michael Ojemudia also came down with an interception in his return from an injury.

Next, Iowa will hit the road to face Nebraska in the regular-season finale in Lincoln on Nov. 29.