Goodson continues to excel in freshman campaign

Iowa running back Tyler Goodson hurdles MTSU's Gregory Grate, Jr. during a football game between Iowa and Middle Tennessee State at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, September 28, 2019. The Hawkeyes defeated the Blue Raiders, 48-3.

Shivansh Ahuja

Shivansh Ahuja

Shivansh Ahuja

Iowa running back Tyler Goodson has conquered everything that has been thrown at him in his Hawkeye career, and it's earned him a starting spot.

November 21, 2019

He’s what wide receiver Brandon Smith calls a “human joystick.”

True freshman Tyler Goodson has grown to become a favorite both in the Hawkeye locker room and to those who look at the program from the outside.

Iowa’s coaching staff has used running back rotations for years. Last year, three running backs shared the spotlight, and that was the plan again for the first nine games of the season.

Enter Goodson. Come Week 12, it was impossible for anyone to ignore the spark that he brought to the field for Iowa every Saturday, and he earned a starting spot for a signature Hawkeye win over yet another top-10 team. No. 7 Minnesota was toppled in Kinnick Stadium, 23-19, on a day when Goodson rushed for 94 yards and a touchdown.

“I was speechless when [running backs coach Derrick Foster] first told me,” Goodson said in a release. “For me, I didn’t focus on the fact I was starting, but focused on the next play and tried to make an impact that would help our team win the game.”

The Daily Iowan • Copyright 2020 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in