Field hockey falls to North Carolina in NCAA Tournament

Iowa’s impressive 2019 season came to an end with a 2-1 loss to the Tar Heels.

Hannah Kinson

Iowa midfielder Sofie Stribos runs with the ball during a field hockey game between Iowa and Duke at Grant Field on Sunday, September 15, 2019. The Hawkeyes were defeated by the Blue Devils, 2-1 after two overtime periods.

Chris Werner, Sports Reporter

A North Carolina goal by Feline Guenther, scored on a transition play in the 46th minute of action, proved to be the game-winning score and ultimately ended Iowa field hockey’s impressive season.

The Tar Heels defeated the Hawkeyes 2-1 on Sunday to advance to the final four of the NCAA Tournament. This was the 44th victory in a row for North Carolina, who hasn’t lost since the 2017 NCAA semifinals.

Iowa scored first when Sofie Stribos deflected a shot from her sister, Lokke Stribos, off a penalty corner at the beginning of the second quarter in the 18th minute of play.

North Carolina quickly responded just seven minutes later, though, with a penalty corner tally of its own from their leading scorer Erin Matson, her 27th goal of the year.

RELATED: Iowa field hockey hangs on to beat Duke in NCAA Tournament

After Guenther’s go-ahead score, the Hawkeye’s pulled senior goalkeeper Leslie Speight with 2:55 left to play to get an extra attacker onto the field, but Iowa couldn’t generate any real offensive threats in the remaining time.

Iowa finished the season ranked sixth nationally with a record of 17-5 and won their first Big Ten Tournament championship since the Hawkeyes won three-straight conference titles from 2006-2008.

North Carolina will face Boston College, who beat Louisville in a shootout Sunday, in their final four matchup on Nov. 22 in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.