5 Key Tips to Get You Prepared for Your First Chiropractic Appointment

Got back pain?

You’re not alone. Thirty-one million Americans report suffering from back pain at some point.

While there are plenty of treatment options, chiropractic care is something to consider.

Thirty million people seek chiropractic treatment every year. If you’re in pain but haven’t seen a chiropractor yet, what are you waiting for?

Seeing a new doctor, especially one that is so hands-on, can be scary. Knowledge is power, though, and that’s why we’re here.

Keep reading for five things to expect at your first chiropractic visit. 

1. Filling Out Forms

You’ll need to fill out several forms before your chiropractic appointment. These forms revolve around your medical history and current medications. 

The forms will delve deep into your current issue, too. What’s causing your pain, and is it stemming from an injury? What kind of pain are you experiencing – burning, aching, throbbing?

Spare no details. Your chiropractor will be able to give you better treatment if they know the nitty-gritty. 

Some of the more technologically-advanced clinics will have these forms available online. You can fill them out before leaving your home, and the receptionist will have them ready when you get there.

2. Physical Exam

Once your doctor has gone over your forms with you, they’ll begin a physical examination of your body. 

They may take your blood pressure and pulse and test your reflexes. They’ll perform orthopedic tests to determine range of motion and muscle tone. 

Your chiropractor may perform more tests depending on what kind of injury you have. They may feel for leg length discrepancies and analyze your posture. 

Be sure to wear comfortable clothes you can move in. Avoid inflexible clothing like jeans or suits. Women should try to skip the skirts and dresses.

Chiropractors like those at www.fairwaychiropractic.net know how to take and read X-rays. If your doctor determines it’s necessary, they may send you for X-rays or refer you for an MRI. 

3. Adjustments

Your doctor may want to make a chiropractic adjustment on your first visit. Not everyone doctor will, but some like to get right into treatment. It’s best to mentally prepare for one just in case.

The popping and cracking sounds can be pretty terrifying the first time you hear them. Your doctor isn’t breaking your bones and won’t paralyze you. 

Sometimes air gets trapped between your joints and discs. The popping sounds you hear are air releasing. 

4. Diagnosis

With enough information to work with, your doctor may provide a diagnosis on your first visit. Having a name to your condition may give you some relief. Knowing your diagnosis can give you hope that there are ways to treat it.

When you have a name for your condition, you can also perform research on it at home. 

5. Treatment Plan

Once the doctor has determined your diagnosis, they can create a treatment plan. 

Each patient’s plan is unique to their needs. Yours may consist of adjustments, exercises to do at home, or even electrical stimulation. 

An Easier First Chiropractic Visit

Your first chiropractic visit can be nerve-wracking. We hope our guide has helped to cut out some of those first-time jitters.

If you’re still nervous, remember your chiropractor is a medical professional. They know what they’re doing, and you’ll be in good hands.

Keep reading our blog for the latest news and more exciting articles.