Iowa soccer makes NCAA Tournament

After winning 15 games, the Hawkeyes earned an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament for only the second time in program history.

Iowa players celebrate a goal during a women’s soccer match between Iowa and Maryland at the Iowa Soccer Complex on Sunday, October 13, 2019. The Hawkeyes shut out the Terrapins, 4-0.

Isaac Goffin, Sports Reporter

For just the second time in program history, the Iowa soccer team has clinched an NCAA Tournament berth.

It will play at Kansas on Saturday at a time that will be determined later. The Jayhawks are the No.3 seed in the Charlottesville Regional.

The Hawkeyes finished the season 15-4-1, and the 15 wins were the most in program regular-season history. The other time they made the NCAA Tournament was in 2013. This is the first time they have made it under head coach Dave DiIanni.

2019 has been a season full of accomplishments for the Hawkeyes. They have outscored their opponents 45-19, had 16 different players score, and had impressive road victories at North Carolina State and Notre Dame.

Additionally, there have been many players that have won individual awards. Senior midfielder and defender Natalie Winters was named to the second team All-Big Ten, senior forward Devin Burns was named to the third team All-Big Ten, and freshman forward Gianna Gourley was named to the All-Freshman Team in the Big Ten. Sophomore defender Riley Whitaker was named to the Big Ten All-Tournament Team.

The Hawkeyes last game was on Nov. 3 in the Big Ten Tournament quarterfinals at Penn State, which they lost, 2-0.

The Jayhawks are 15-4-3 and won the Big 12 Tournament on Sunday. They have outscored their opponents 41-18. Senior forward Katie McClure leads the offense statistically, as she has 14 goals and eight assists and was named to the All-Big 12 first team. Senior defender Addison Merrick is another player that the Hawkeyes should watch out for, as she was the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year.