Hawkeye basketball falls to Blue Demons in Gavitt Games

DePaul took a commanding lead over Iowa early, and it never looked back.

Megan Nagorzanski

Iowa forward Ryan Kriener defends the ball during a game against Depaul at Carver Hawkeye Arena on Monday, November 11, 2019. (Megan Nagorzanski/The Daily Iowan)

Pete Ruden, Pregame Editor

Iowa couldn’t have let things get out of hand quicker against DePaul.

The Hawkeyes gave up two 3-pointers to start the game, and the Blue Demons didn’t let up. DePaul started the game on a 13-0 run, stretched it to double digits, and downed Iowa 93-78 in Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Monday.

DePaul dominated Iowa in every aspect, hitting shots at a 61 percent clip — including an 11-of-20 mark from behind the arc — and forcing the Hawkeyes to commit 19 turnovers.

The closest Iowa came to coming back in the final 20 minutes was when it cut DePaul’s lead to 14 points with just over a minute remaining.

Iowa found itself to have major problems defensively, and it was evident from the jump. The Blue Demons cut through the Hawkeye zone all game.

One of the few bright spots for Iowa came in the form of Ryan Kriener, who scored 13 points on 5-of-5 shooting and grabbed eight rebounds. From tipping passes to drawing and-1s, Kriener kept Iowa in the game in the first half.

Fredrick also impressed, dropping a team-high 16 points, including a 2-of-3 mark from 3-point land. Freshman Joe Toussaint posted a solid performance as well, scoring 13 points in 13 minutes of action.