Iowa volleyball overpowered by Illinois

The Illini proved to be too much for the Hawkeyes on Wednesday night, as Iowa fell in three sets.

Emily Wangen

Iowa’s Hannah Clayton blocks a spike from Illinois’ Ashlyn Fleming during a match University of Illinois on Wednesday, Nov. 6, 2019. The Hawkeyes lost to the Fighting Illini, who won 3-0. (Emily Wangen/The Daily Iowan)

Austin Hanson, Sports Reporter

Another difficult evening befell Iowa volleyball on Wednesday night. The visiting Illini dispatched the Hawkeyes in three hard-fought sets.

The Illini led the game in nearly every statistical category. Junior Megan Cooney led the way with 17 kills for Illinois. Setter Diana Brown also had a noteworthy evening with 40 assists.

While the Illini did win in three sets, they did not dominate throughout the entirety of the match. An intangible energy that Iowa lacked last Saturday seemed to return on Wednesday.

“To be honest, the last couple of days we’ve been unraveling what works for us as far as communication and celebration,” head coach Vicki Brown said. “[We’re re] reestablishing what that is and asking others to step into those roles for us. It’s just really understanding what it takes for us to be in good rhythm as a team as far as energy goes.”

One of the main contributors to Iowa’s energy resurgence was senior Emily Bushman. The defensive specialist found her way back into the starting lineup against Illinois. Bushman’s impact goes beyond what a box score can speak to.

“[Being a starter] feels great,” Bushman said. “I really trust any of my teammates to be in that position so it’s really gratifying to be in that position myself. I think it’s a good opportunity to lead the team. I think I can bring a lot of energy to the court.”

Bushman stepped into an injury-riddled Iowa lineup. The injury bug has been the Hawkeyes’ greatest adversary to this point in 2019.

Brie Orr returned to the Hawkeye sidelines as a spectator for Wednesday’s contest. This is a positive sign for Iowa as Orr continues to battle an unspecified injury.

“I think [injuries] are something you have to be prepared for in any sport,” Bushman said. “Not everybody is going to be 100 percent all the time. Overcoming that as a team, we just need to lift each other up and I think that we’re doing a good job working through that. It is frustrating at times, but it’s definitely just about people stepping out of their comfort zone and taking on different roles that they maybe haven’t been in before.”

The pieces do seem to be in place of the Hawkeyes to succeed. For Iowa, winning and losing will often come down to matters of consistency. A different form of adversity seems to plague the team each time it plays.

“It’s always adversity that presents itself as you go into preparation for the next match,” Brown said. “After [last weekend], I think the team is finding that they can work through things and it’s just the beginning stages of that.”

Junior Griere Hughes shared her coach’s sentiment.

“Last match it was our offense,” Hughes said. “This match it was our defense. Reception wise, we didn’t do well. I think that’s what kept us from winning.”

Coach Brown will have to put yesterday’s loss to her alma mater behind her quickly. The Hawkeyes will face No. 7 Nebraska at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Saturday.