Hawkeye men’s hoops downs Blue Raiders in exhibition

Iowa dominated Lindsey Wilson College from the jump, picking up a 96-58 win ahead of its season-opener against SIUE on Friday.

Iowa+guard+Joe+Wieskamp+prepares+to+shoot+the+ball+during+the+mens+basketball+game+against+Lindsey+Wilson+College+at+Carver-Hawkeye+Arena+on+Monday%2C+November+4%2C+2019.+

Katina Zentz

Iowa guard Joe Wieskamp prepares to shoot the ball during the men’s basketball game against Lindsey Wilson College at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Monday, November 4, 2019.

Pete Ruden, Pregame Editor

Iowa’s 96-58 exhibition win over Lindsey Wilson College on Monday was just about over as it started.

Despite the Blue Raiders hitting a 3-pointer to open the game, the Hawkeyes went on a 12-0 run that included 3s by C.J. Fredrick on back-to-back possessions to take a 12-3 lead that they wouldn’t look back from.

Jordan Bohannon made his return to the court with 13:48 remaining as Iowa’s sixth man, and he drained a shot from beyond the arc on his first attempt to put Iowa up 31-10.

Bohannon finished with 3 points on 1-of-3 shooting to go along with two assists.

Joe Wieskamp made his presence felt early by making Iowa’s first bucket, and he didn’t slow down. The Muscatine, Iowa, native dropped 19 points on 6-of-8 (3-of-4 from 3) shooting and also had four rebounds.

The Hawkeyes dominated Lindsey Wilson College in the paint, outscoring the Blue Raiders 40-14 inside. Luka Garza led the way down low for Iowa, scoring 16 points an efficient 6-of-8 shooting with 3 boards.

Fredrick added 18 points, while true freshman Patrick McCaffery dropped 12.

Iowa also held Lindsey Wilson College to just 35 percent shooting from the field, while it hit shots at a 56 percent clip.

The Hawkeyes open their regular season against SIUE on Friday at 8 p.m. in Carver-Hawkeye.