Monika Czinano excels for women’s basketball in exhibition

The sophomore forward and center was on fire against Winona State, as she never missed from the field and scored 27 points.

Iowa+Forward+Monika+Czinano+attempts+to+steal+the+ball+during+a+Womens+basketball+exhibition+game+between+the+University+of+Iowa+and+Winona+State+University+at+Carver+Hawkeye+Arena+on+November+3%2C+2019.+The+Hawkeyes+beat+the+Warriors+with+a+score+of++98-53.+

Ryan Adams

Iowa Forward Monika Czinano attempts to steal the ball during a Women’s basketball exhibition game between the University of Iowa and Winona State University at Carver Hawkeye Arena on November 3, 2019. The Hawkeye’s beat the Warrior’s with a score of 98-53.

Isaac Goffin, Sports Reporter

The loss of Megan Gustafson creates a big discrepancy in the post that will likely never be completely replaced. Nonetheless, a player did step up in the post in yesterday’s exhibition game against Winona State that could make Hawkeye fans a little bit more comfortable in that area.

Sophomore forward and center Monika Czinano had a fantastic game against the Warriors, as she went 13-13 from the field and scored a team-high 27 points in about 23 and a half minutes of action in the Hawkeyes 98-53 win. She also made her only free throw attempt, had three rebounds, and dished out two assists.

Czinano was happy that she was finally able to show her talents against a new opponent.

“I just felt good, like [head coach Lisa Bluder] said, somebody that’s not the boys or ourselves,” Czinano said.

Czinano had her most impressive stretch during the second quarter. With just under two minutes to go, she scored three consecutive layups in just over 70 seconds. During that quarter, she scored 10 points, which was the most she scored in any quarter in the game.

All the points she scored from the field were layups. Even with the Hawkeyes going back to a perimeter offense, post play is still important for them, as shown here.

“I just think that the post is such a valuable position,” Czinano said. “[Coach Jensen] definitely helps put that impression on us. And even though we have a new offense, the post fundamentals that she teaches are the same year in and year out, and that’s really what we work on. It’s just maybe a different offense, different places to go, but we are working on the fundamentals in the post position.”

Related: Women’s basketball to be tested with non-conference schedule

Bluder said on media day that she does expect Czinano to start during the regular season, and she started on Sunday. If she starts on Thursday, which is home against Florida Atlantic, it will be her first official career start.

“Monika obviously had a really good first exhibition game,” Bluder said. “Going 100 percent, 13 for 13 from the field. You could just tell that she was just stronger [and] had a size advantage. We did a good job of getting her the ball.”

Even though the team has had many practices leading up to yesterday’s game, Bluder said that her team did a much better job identifying Czinano when she was in position to score.

One of those teammates that passed the ball to Czinano when she was in a good position was senior captain and guard Kathleen Doyle.

“I’m so excited for her,” Doyle said. “You hear everyone talk about how great Megan was and she was that, but I’m just so proud of Monika, of really seizing the moment. She’s one of the hardest workers that I’ve experienced, just like Megan was. She has so much potential so I’m really just proud of her and excited that she got to show people what she can do to.”

The strong performance is encouraging, but Czinano is still going to take her performance day by day, as she discussed after the game that she wants to focus on rebounding for Thursday’s game.

“If Megan taught me anything, it’s just taking it day by day and working as hard as you can every day,” Czinano said. “I think that’s really what our whole team really embodies as a whole.”