Highlights from Iowa’s press conference following win over Northwestern

Iowa picked up its second win in a row against Northwestern on Saturday, and the team shared what went well after the game.

Iowa+players+celebrate+during+the+Iowa+vs.+Northwestern+football+game+at+Ryan+Field+on+Saturday%2C+October+26%2C+2019.+The+Hawkeyes+defeated+the+Wildcats+20-0.+

Katina Zentz

Iowa players celebrate during the Iowa vs. Northwestern football game at Ryan Field on Saturday, October 26, 2019. The Hawkeyes defeated the Wildcats 20-0.

Pete Ruden and Pete Mills

EVANSTON, ILL — Iowa took down Northwestern on its homecoming with a 20-0 victory in Evanston on Saturday.

With a solid performance all the way around, the Hawkeyes discussed what went well in their second win in a row.

Defensive end A.J. Epenesa on Iowa’s goals

“Coach [Kelvin] Bell says it all the time — All of our dreams and aspirations for this season, for this team are still in front of us. We still have the opportunity to do great things, and it’s all about taking advantage of our opportunity and never settling for anything less than our best.”

Offensive line Tristan Wirfs on a Dr. Seuss quote and picking up a win before the bye week

“A Who is a Who no matter how small, so same as a win. We’ll take anything.”

Wide receiver Tyrone Tracy on scoring a touchdown

“Last week, I should have scored, but I let my man [Tyler Goodson] get his first touchdown. That’s always a good thing. But today, that touchdown really just calmed me down. Because, really, when I’m [going for 40-yarders] I’m kind of nervous. So that catch really calmed me down for the rest of the game.”

Wirfs on watching Iowa’s defense

“It’s exciting for us, watching the defense out there getting sacks, getting stops, turnovers on downs. It’s pretty exciting. It makes [the offense] want to go out there and put points on the board.” 

Running back Mekhi Sargent on the offense playing with the defense

“We have to go out there and sustain drives. We have to go out there and get into the end zone. Our defense is one of the best out there right now. Those guys are so good at getting the ball back to us.” 

Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz on chop blocks

“That’s the way it goes.”