Tim Ryan drops 2020 presidential bid

Rep. Tim Ryan, D-Ohio, ended his campaign for the presidency on Thursday, saying he would seek reelection in Ohio.

Shivansh Ahuja

Rep. Tim Ryan speaks at the Des Moines Register Political Soapbox during the Iowa State Fair in Des Moines, IA on Saturday, August 10, 2019.

Caleb McCullough, Politics Reporter

Democratic U.S. Representative from Ohio Tim Ryan ended his bid for the presidency on Thursday, announcing his withdrawal in a video on Twitter. 

Ryan campaigned on tackling economic unrest facing workers and the middle class. He said he will continue to address these issues in a run for reelection to his congressional seat. 

“I wanted to give a voice to the forgotten communities that have been left behind by globalization and automation,” Ryan said in the video. “And I’m proud of this campaign because I believe we’ve done that.” 

Ryan struggled to get a foothold in the crowded Democratic primary field, consistently hovering around 1 percent in national polls. He failed to make the debate stage in the last two Democratic debates, and hadn’t met the threshold for the November debates.

Ryan also had low fundraising numbers compared to his opponents, raising about $400,000 in the third quarter and $1.3 million throughout his campaign.