One-on-one with Iowa wide receiver Nico Ragaini

Daily Iowan Assistant Sports Editor Robert Read talked with Iowa wide receiver Nico Ragaini, who is proficient in sign language and has a specific pre-game routine.

Wyatt Dlouhy

Iowa wide receiver Nico Ragaini goes up for a catch during a football game between Iowa and Michigan at the Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, Michigan on Saturday, October 5, 2019. The Wolverines defeated the Hawkeyes 10-3.

Robert Read, Assistant Sports Editor

The Daily Iowan: What’s your favorite thing to do in your free time?
Nico Ragaini: I just finished a show on HBO. I watched in like three days, all the episodes. It’s called Euphoria. I finished it, so I’m really tired right now. So, just laying in bed, that’s a big thing. Sleep, that’s my favorite thing to do.

DI: What’s your favorite TV show?
Ragaini: Me and my friends back home, right before I left and came here, we used to watch this show called Entourage. It’s a great show. And then right when I came here, my friends here were watching it, so it’s a little thing on the side I like.

DI: What’s your favorite movie?
Ragaini: It’s called Shutter Island. I’m going to shout my friend out Livia. She always sends me movies and shows to watch. She sent me that, and I’m obsessed with that movie. I’ve watched it like five times.

DI: What kind of music do you listen to before a game?
Ragaini: I’ve listened to the same song before every single game since I was like in fourth grade or sixth grade. It’s called “Swagga Like Us.” It’s kind of funny, but that’s my go-to song.

DI: Did you have an athlete that you looked up to growing up?
Ragaini: Like I told you, I listen to the same song every game. I watch Julian Edelman highlights before every single game. I’ve always wanted to be like him. Everyone is always calling me him like there’s similarities and everything. He’s a great route runner. I watch that video and it gets me all hyped up and ready to go.

DI: What’s your favorite food spot in Iowa City?
Ragaini: I feel like it changes. I eat at the same places over and over and over again, and then I’ll get sick of it and then I’ll go somewhere else. Like a couple months ago, I had an Estela’s burrito like twice a week. But now, I’m on to a burger at Stella’s. It’s a good burger.

DI: What is your favorite dessert?
Ragaini: My grandmother back home makes bread pudding, and she puts Nutella in it, and then I eat it with vanilla bean ice cream. I could go for some of that right now.

DI: What would you be doing if you weren’t playing football?
Ragaini: I’d play lacrosse, definitely. I love lacrosse.

DI: What’s the most interesting class you’ve taken while at Iowa?
Ragaini: I take sign language, which I think is so cool. I’m in sign language 2 now. I mean, I could actually hold conversations in sign language now, so I’m pretty pumped up about that.

DI: To you, what’s the best part about being a Hawkeye?
Ragaini: Just the people I’ve met here so far. I live with four other guys, and I truly love them. They’re like my best friends here. Just all the relationships I’ve made and everything is something that most people won’t. Being on a team like this, it’s so awesome. I really do love it.