On the Line: Week 8

The Daily Iowan staff makes its picks for Week 8 of the college football season.

On the Line: Week 8

Fans prepare for the Iowa football game against Penn State in Iowa City on Saturday, Oct. 12, 2019. The Nittany Lions defeated the Hawkeyes 17-12.

Katina Zentz

Katina Zentz

Katina Zentz

No. 23 Iowa vs. Purdue

Pete Ruden, Pregame Editor (16-14): Iowa — I will make sure I meet Purdue Pete this time, so we can bond over our cool names.

Anna Kayser, Sports Editor (16-14): Iowa — I really wanted to pick Purdue but much like Iowa’s recent offense, I just couldn’t finish.

Robert Read, Assistant Sports Editor (15-15): Iowa — I mean, probably?

Pete Mills, Football Reporter (15-15): Iowa — Iowa lost without Nate Stanley’s goatee, and it also lost with the goatee, so I don’t know how to predict games.

Lucy Rohden, DITV Director (18-12): Iowa — Two black and cold teams. Two dead and cold offenses.

Jon Rawson, Assistant DITV Sports Director (18-12): Iowa —  Purdue? More like Purdon’t, am I right?

Jason Brummond, Publisher (18-12): Iowa — Hawkeye offense explodes for 17 points.

No. 12 Oregon vs. No. 25 Washington

Ruden: Oregon — What’s a duck’s favorite drug? Quack!

Kayser: Oregon — Roll…. Ducks?

Read: Oregon — The Oregon Duck is an elite mascot

Mills: Oregon — I can’t watch Pac-12 games because I go to sleep too early, so I’ll just take Oregon.

Rohden: Oregon — Get your insurance needs with Aflac!

Rawson: Oregon — I have no reason as to why I’m picking the Ducks, but 12 is better than 25.

Brummond: Oregon — The Oregon Duck and Harry the Husky Twitter feud is legendary.

No. 7 Penn State vs. No. 16 Michigan

Ruden: Penn State — Penn State can be pretty good in night games apparently.

Kayser: Penn State — Ah, two weeks of pain wrapped up in a nice little primetime game.

Read: Penn State — ICYMI: Both of these teams beat Iowa.

Mills: Penn State — Beaver Stadium? Whiteout? Michigan? Please.

Rohden: Penn State — Penn State will win if it gets more than one net rushing yard.

Rawson: Penn State — My sadness continues to mount with College Football, much like Penn State up the rankings.

Brummond: Penn State — They can compare notes on how bad Iowa’s offense has been in October.

No. 13 Utah vs. No. 17 Arizona State

Ruden: Utah — Time for the Utes to celebrate at the Utah bars with their 2-percent beer.

Kayser: Utah — What exactly is a Ute?

Read: Arizona State — “You play to win the game.” – Herm Edwards

Mills: Utah — UTES.

Rohden: Arizona State — I ain’t betting against the Devil, no freaking way.

Rawson: Utah — I almost went to Arizona State, but here I am. Roll Utes.

Brummond: Utah — I’m told Utah is the Iowa of the Pac-12. Works for me.

Hawaii vs. Air Force

Ruden: Hawaii — The Air Force battling the Rainbow Warriors sounds like something you read in a history book.

Kayser: Air Force — I’m convinced Pete threw this in here to throw us all off.

Read: Air Force — Flyovers at Air Force games must be insane.

Mills: Hawaii — Good thing Air Force has planes. It had to get to Aloha Stadium somehow.

Rohden: Air Force — It feels wrong picking against a team with a mascot that’s a rainbow warrior.

Rawson: Hawaii — Colt Brennan. Don’t tell me he doesn’t play there anymore.

Brummond: Hawaii — I’ve never been to Hawaii or the Air Force.

Facebook Comments