Grading Iowa’s performance against Penn State

Iowa’s offense didn’t live up to the hype for a second-straight week, while the defense surrendered 17 points.

Katina Zentz

Iowa running back Tyler Goodson carries the ball during the Iowa football game against Penn State in Iowa City on Saturday, Oct. 12, 2019. The Nittany Lions defeated the Hawkeyes 17-12.

Pete Ruden, Pregame Editor

Offense: C-

Iowa had no trouble moving the ball against Penn State, outgaining the Nittany Lions, 356-294.

Points; however, were hard to come by for the second week in a row. 

The Hawkeyes managed only 2.3 yards per carry, but Nate Stanley came up with 286 yards, a touchdown, and an interception through the air.

Brandon Smith’s SportsCenter-worthy catch on Iowa’s only touchdown boosts up the offense’s grade.

Defense: B+

The Hawkeye defense continued its strong stretch on Oct. 12. 

The defensive line put up a solid performance with three sacks, four quarterback hits, and six tackles for loss. 

The energy of the D-line transferred to the secondary, which held Penn State to 117 yards in the air.

In the first quarter, Iowa gave up only 10 rushing yards, as the Nittany Lions failed to complete a pass.

Special Teams: C+