Joyce Manor met with a wild and energetic crowd at Gabe’s

Alternative band Joyce Manor played to a moshing energetic crowd at Gabe’s, bringing songs from their new record, Million Dollars to Kill Me.

Wyatt Dlouhy

Vocalist and guitarist Barry Johnson sings into a microphone during a Joyce Manor concert at Gabe’s in Iowa City on Wednesday, October 9, 2019. Joyce Manor is a punk band from Torrance, California.

Austin J. Yerington, Arts Reporter

Gabe’s hummed with patrons, all awaiting Joyce Manor to take the stage. Under the neuron-like lighting hanging from the ceiling, a sea of flannels and ripped denim jackets crowded the floor in front of the stage, arriving after opening bands Stranger Ranger and Stef Chura. 

As soon as Joyce Manor took the stage, it was like a flip was switched on the crowd. Soon, everyone was jumping on beat with hands swinging in the air. The audience would chant along to the chorus, making the whole room alive with energy. Though the night began with a  poorly-attempted crowdsurf, many successful ones soon followed. 

The Los Angeles-native band definitely found its grip on the crowd early in the show, and never lost it throughout their set.

As the band played, the Earth shook with every beat. Gabe’s hosted an energized crowd during the night. The band was reserved yet carried power with every movement, causing the crowd to pour out cheers and rock ‘n’ roll gestures with their hands.

Wyatt Dlouhy
Audience members mosh during a Joyce Manor concert at Gabe’s in Iowa City on Wednesday, October 9, 2019. Joyce Manor is a punk band from Torrance, California.

“There’s no place for us to go for an encore, so we’ll do whatever… you want to hear,” Barry Johnson, lead singer and guitarist, said. “Actually, let’s do whatever… you want now.” 

This led to a cacophony of songs, which ultimately led to the band’s fan favorite, “Christmas Card” and “Leather Jacket.”

After ears were ringing, the body heat in the room was at its hottest. Joyce Manor left its Iowa City crowd as soon as the lights came up. The setlist consisted of a few covers, past songs, and tracks from their newest record Million Dollars to Kill Me, which continued playing in the heads of listeners as they exited the space. 

Joyce Manor’s newest record is about relationships, how they happen, and how they change throughout time.  The feelings that Joyce Manor convey in their ten track album is a wide spectrum. 

The band uses upbeat instrumentals in songs such as “Fighting Kangaroo,” a track that simultaneously feels like a punk/alternative anthem and 60s pop. Their song, “Silly Games,” almost has a slow, Beach Boys-esque vibe. However, songs like “Big Lie” deal with isolation and the inability to connect with others. 

The acoustic track, “I’m Not the One,” shares an intimate, light, and solitary song about ending relationships. Lyrics such as, “I’m not the one who invented the sun, but I know who did,” and “Look out below ‘cause it’s not the tempo, it’s the truth in the song,” have such an awkwardly beautiful sound that it almost becomes irresistible to sing along.

An audience member stage dives during a Joyce Manor concert at Gabe’s on Wednesday, October 9, 2019. Joyce Manor is a punk band from Torrance, California.

“Gone Tomorrow” is the penultimate song of Million Dollars to Kill Me. Starting out with a nearly ethereal sound complemented by slow and isolated tones, Johnson’s voice slices through the fog. The song quickly shifts into something more energized, with drums and back-up vocals making their appearance. 

“Wildflowers” is the final song of this alternative rock album. This song gives off a certain energy reminiscent to The Mountain Goats, with a guitar echo and abrupt ending lyrics. It’s no surprise that Joyce Manor has been found on several alternative playlists, as they work within the genre so well, while also making certain elements their own.