Purdue slipping, Ohio State only getting started

Ohio State has been unstoppable this season while Purdue struggles to find an offense.

Katina Zentz

Ohio State head coach, Ryan Day, addresses the media during the Big Ten Football Media Day in Chicago, Ill., on Thursday, July 18, 2019.

Pete Mills, Sports Reporter

The Big Ten football schedule is in its prime state in 2019, bringing all the drama and intrigue fans would expect.

No one can seem to take down Ohio State even though five conference programs find themselves ranked this week. Meanwhile, Purdue tries to piece together an offense after a dismal performance against Penn State.

Coaches around the conference are trying to make sense of the Big Ten madness, and The Daily Iowan is tracking the biggest news from around the conference.

Buckeyes plowing through 2019

After Ohio State’s win over Michigan State on Oct. 5, reporters asked head coach Ryan Day if he’s more comfortable now than at the beginning of the season. He said yes, and that should scare the rest of the conference.

The Buckeyes experienced their first legitimate test of the season against the Spartans in Week 6 in primetime on ESPN, taking down Michigan State handily, 34-10.

Ohio State had to adjust to the Michigan State defense, though, after only posting 3 points through the first quarter. But a giant showing from running back J.K. Dobbins — who put up 172 yards and averaged 7.2 per carry — pushed the Buckeye offense to a 24-point second-quarter showing.

Day, who likely took some notes when he was an assistant coach under Urban Meyer, could only talk about the offensive woes the team saw in the first quarter.

“We have to take ownership of this, too, and figure the problems out,” Day said. “But that’s what playing against a team like Michigan State in a Big Ten Conference game like this is. It’s hard, it’s a grind, and it’s gritty. And it was great to see the guys respond especially in the second quarter.”

Purdue lists two QB1s on depth chart

After losing in a blowout to Penn State in Week 6, Purdue is making some adjustments to prepare for its battle with Maryland on Saturday.

Purdue lost quarterback Elijah Sindelar to a clavicle injury in the team’s game against Minnesota Sept. 28, forcing head coach Jeff Brohm to turn to Jack Plummer. Penn State saw the opportunity of an inexperienced quarterback and sacked Plummer 10 total times in the game. Plummer went 13-for-27 and threw for 119 yards on the day.

After the rough offensive performance, the Purdue coaching staff released a depth chart that listed either Plummer or Aiden O’Connell as the first quarterback.

“Jack competed extremely hard,” Brohm said. “He gave us great effort and he did some good things. Now when you get hit that many times, you know, you’re going to struggle a little toward the end and we took a lot of sacks. So, we just want to make sure there’s competition at every position.”

RELATED: Epenesa, D-line continue to make impact

Purdue was a dark horse pick to win the Big Ten West in 2019, but things haven’t gotten much better after its last-second loss to a Group-of-5 team in Nevada in Week 1. Purdue sits at 1-4 on the year with its lone win coming against Vanderbilt on Sept. 7. After star wide receiver and preseason All-American Rondale Moore suffered a knee injury against Minnesota, things went from bad to worse.

“We have to be willing to put in the work in order to try to go out and compete and get better,” Brohm said. “We know it’s not going to be easy, and we’re going to have to fight through it, but that’s what has to happen. That’s what I want to see. I want to see some fight in our guys.”