Iowa dominates Middle Tennessee, 48-3

Iowa’s offense erupted for a record number of yards today against Middle Tennessee.

Iowa+quarterback+Nate+Stanley+looks+to+pass+during+a+football+game+between+Iowa+and+Middle+Tennessee+State+at+Kinnick+Stadium+on+Saturday%2C+September+28%2C+2019.+

Shivansh Ahuja

Iowa quarterback Nate Stanley looks to pass during a football game between Iowa and Middle Tennessee State at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, September 28, 2019.

Anna Kayser, Sports Editor

The Hawkeye offense boomed for its most yards since 1997 in the 48-3 win against Middle Tennessee on Sept. 28. Iowa improves to 4-0 on the season going into the thick of the Big Ten season.

Iowa’s 644 yards is the most in Kirk Ferentz’s tenure as head coach. The passing game accounted for 293 of the yards, with 351 coming on the ground, thanks to Iowa’s running-back rotation and its best showing this season.

Running back Toren Young exploded for a career day, tallying 131 net yards and averaging 11.9 yards per attempt. Tyler Goodson and Mekhi Sargent also were close to approaching that 100-yard mark with 97 and 91 net yards.

Four of Iowa’s six touchdowns came via the running game by Sargent, Ihmir Smith-Marsette, fullback Brady Ross, and quarterback Spencer Petras.

Nate Stanley’s 2 touchdown throws put him at 60 in his career, third among Hawkeye quarterbacks behind Chuck Long and Drew Tate. He had a 187.1 quarterback rating after completing 17-of-25.

On the receiving side, Brandon Smith had 2 touchdowns on 6 receptions and 71 yards. Tyrone Tracy led the team with 85 receiving yards, averaging 28.3 yards per reception with his long notching 33 yards.

On special teams, Keith Duncan hit a career-long 49-yard field goal in his opening attempt but followed it with a wide-right miss from 39-yards to end his perfect streak. His confidence wasn’t shaken, however; he hit a 42-yard field goal to improve to 10-of-11.