Highlights from Iowa’s press conference following win over Iowa State

After a close game with a wild ending, the Hawkeyes had plenty of energy to speak about their win over Iowa State.

Iowa players and coaches celebrate recovering a muffed punt during a football game between Iowa and Iowa State at Jack Trice Stadium in Ames on Saturday, September 14, 2019. The Hawkeyes retained the Cy-Hawk Trophy for the fifth consecutive year, downing the Cyclones, 18-17.

Pete Ruden and Robert Read

Iowa picked up its third win of the season with an 18-17 victory over Iowa State on Saturday. After a game that essentially ended on a muffed punt, Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz and his players gave their thoughts on what happened.

Wide receiver Ihmir Smith-Marsette on what he did during the lightning delays

“I wasn’t supposed to say this, but I took a nap. I just slept and let the storm pass by. I got off my feet, laid down, kicked back, and relaxed. I didn’t try to waste no energy.” 

Kicker Keith Duncan on a “Keith Duncan for Heisman” Twitter campaign

“That would be a first for kickers, right? That would be fun. Hopefully, we score some more touchdowns, but we go out there and try to execute every rep that we get, so if that leads to the Heisman, let’s do it.”

Offensive tackle Tristan Wirfs on being viewed as a villain in opposing stadiums

“I don’t really think about it [as] being a villain. I think about it as trying to be a bad guy. I guess that’s the same thing, but you know what I’m saying. It’s a tier — villain’s up there, bad guy’s down here. I come in here as a bad man trying to cause some damage.”

Head coach Kirk Ferentz on warming up three times

“I hate pregame. Pregame warm-ups are one of my least favorite things about game day for me. We got three of them today, so what a bonus that was.”

Wirfs on his postgame emotions

“Nothing was really going through my head. I was just letting my emotions go. Seeing the Paulsens afterward, all five years they’ve been here, they haven’t lost in this game. All the seniors, I just think it’s a big release of emotion.”