Iowa soccer defeats Northern Colorado to remain undefeated

The Hawkeyes move to 7-0 on the season after downing Northern Colorado 4-0.

Megan Nagorzanski

Iowa defender Sara Wheaton take a corner during Iowa’s match against Illinois State on Sunday, September 1, 2019. The Hawkeyes defeated the Red Birds 4-3.

Isaac Goffin, Sports Reporter

The Iowa soccer team pushed its season-opening win streak to seven games on Friday, defeating the Northern Colorado Bears 4-0.

“Getting to 7-0 I think was really important for this group,” head coach Dave DiIanni said. “Trying to shut out the non-conference portion of the schedule, we still have Norte Dame on Sunday, but this was an important day for us.”

The Hawkeyes started their scoring early. In the 7th minute sophomore defender Sara Wheaton scored the first goal of her career after a corner kick attempt seemed to be going nowhere until the ball went off the post and Wheaton sent it in.

“That was my first goal, and my parents were here this weekend, so that was really cool,” Wheaton said. “My dad always tells me to score, and this was my first one, so it was really cool for him to be here.”

The scoring continued in the 21st minute when senior forward Devin Burns scored her team-leading fourth goal of the season, with the assist from sophomore defender Riley Whitaker.

In the 2nd half, the goals kept racking up for the Hawkeyes. In the 52nd minute redshirt senior forward Kaleigh Haus scored after a deflection by the Bears’ goalie.

Another career-first goal happened for the Hawkeyes in the 64th minute. Freshman defender Samantha Cary scored from the middle of the Bears’ side of the field.

“It was great,” Cary said. “The way we focus on corner kicks is we don’t want to get countered on, so that’s kind of my position back there with [Isabella Blackman] and Bella sent me a really great head toss and I was able to knock it on frame.”

The Hawkeyes will look to continue their perfect season at Notre Dame on Sunday, which is their last non-conference game of the season.