Iowa wrestling to face Ohio State, reigning NCAA Champion Penn State at home in 2020

The Hawkeyes return to Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Nov. 17 for their season opener.

Iowa’s 165-lb Alex Marinelli wrestle’s Ohio State’s Te’Shan Campbell during the first session of the 2019 Big Ten Wrestling Championships in Minneapolis, MN on Saturday, March 9, 2019. Marinelli won by decision, 6-3. (Shivansh Ahuja/The Daily Iowan)

Anna Kayser, Sports Editor

Iowa wrestling’s 2019-20 schedule was announced on Wednesday and will feature five home Big Ten meets, including matchups against wrestling powerhouses Penn State and Ohio State.

The Hawkeyes’ schedule begins on Sunday, Nov. 17 inside Carver-Hawkeye Arena with a dual against Tennessee at Chattanooga, beginning at 2 p.m.

Iowa then travels to Ames a week later for the CyHawk dual before returning home on Dec. 1 for their first Big Ten meet of the season against Wisconsin. The 2019 dual slate of the schedule ends on Dec. 8 at Princeton before the Midlands Championships in Hoffman Estates, Illinois on Dec. 29 and 30. 

Big Ten season picks right back up on Jan. 10 and 12, when Iowa will face off at Indiana and Purdue, respectively. 

Iowa ends January with three-straight Big Ten duals at home against Nebraska (Jan. 18), Ohio State (Jan. 24) and Penn State (Jan. 31). Penn State and Ohio State finished first and second, respectively, in the 2019 NCAA Wrestling Championship team race. 

The Hawkeyes go on the road against Michigan and Michigan State in February before finishing their home season against Minnesota on Feb. 15 and Oklahoma State, which finished third in the NCAA team race, on Feb. 23.

The Big Ten Tournament is hosted by Rutgers from March 7-8, and the NCAA Championships will be held from March 19-21 in Minneapolis.