Tom Steyer to visit Iowa City on Thursday

2020 presidential-nomination candidate Tom Steyer will make a campaign stop in Iowa City on Thursday.

Tom Steyer speaks at the Des Moines Register Political Soapbox during the Iowa State Fair in Des Moines, IA on Sunday, August 11, 2019. (Shivansh Ahuja/The Daily Iowan)

Julia Shanahan, Assistant Politics Editor

2020 presidential hopeful Tom Steyer will have a meet and greet in Iowa City on Thursday, ahead of not qualifying for the Sept. 12 presidential debates.

The event will be at Hamburg Inn No. 2, 214 N Linn St., from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. The event is free and open to the public, but those interested are encouraged to RSVP here.

Steyer, a Democratic political donor, will campaign in Iowa the same day as the scheduled debate. In order to qualify, candidates needed 130,000 campaign contributions from 400 unique donors in 20 states, and had to be polling at an average of 2 percent in four polls approved by the DNC. However, Steyer did qualify for the October presidential debates that held the same qualifications as the September debates.

Steyer is the founder of NextGen America, an organization that works to mobilize young and first-time voters. Steyer has made calling for President Trump’s impeachment a centerpiece of his campaign.