Merriweather expected to miss Rutgers game

Free safety Kaevon Merriweather will likely miss Iowa’s game against Rutgers with an injury.

David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan

Iowa football helmets line the sidelines during a game against Purdue University on Saturday, Nov. 18, 2017. The Boilermakers defeated the Hawkeyes 24 to 15. (David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan)

Pete Ruden, Pregame Editor

Hawkeye free safety Kaevon Merriweather will not play in Iowa’s game against Rutgers on Saturday after getting hurt in practice, according to Iowa radio.

Merriweather’s injury takes Iowa’s injuries in the secondary to a new level. Cornerbacks Julius Brents and Riley Moss will likely miss as well.

In light of the injury, sophomore Jack Koerner will likely take the field as the starter. Koerner pushed for a bigger role as fall camp came to a close.

“I think Jack Koerner’s done a great job,” Iowa defensive coordinator Phil Parker said on Aug. 20. “…I think he has a chacne to help us out there at that position.”

Rutgers gained 348 yards through the air against Massachusetts in Week 1, but quarterback McLane Carter threw 3 interceptions. The Iowa secondary, now consisting of Koerner, Geno Stone, Michael Ojemudia, and Matt Hankins will need to be on high alert with one of its starters out.