One-on-one with Iowa running back Toren Young

DI Pregame editor Pete Ruden caught up with Toren Young to talk about Al Green, basketball, and Madden.

Katina Zentz

Iowa running back Toren Young celebrates after scoring a touchdown during the Iowa football game against Miami (Ohio) at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, August 31, 2019. The Hawkeyes defeated the Redhawks 38-14.

Pete Ruden, Pregame Editor

The Daily Iowan: If you could have one animal as a pet, what would it be?

Toren Young: Wild animals, I’m afraid of wild animals, so I wouldn’t want anything crazy like a tiger or a lion — nothing like that. Probably got to go with just a dog. Simple.

DI: If you could only listen to one song for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Young: Wow, that’s a tough question. It would probably be a song by Al Green. I’m a big Al Green fan. I don’t know which song it would be, but it would definitely be a song by Al Green.

DI: What’s the worst part about your diet during the football season?

Young: We get a lot of dessert up there, and I’m not able to take it. Apple pies, chocolate cakes, things like that. I got to leave it alone.

DI: If you could start a basketball starting five with your teammates, who would be on it?

Young: I’m going to put Alaric Jackson — he’s going to play the five… Then, I’m going to go to Kaevon [Merriweather], he’ll play the one. The two, I’m going to put Geno Stone. Three, that’s tough. I don’t know who I’m going to put at three. I’ll put myself at three, and I’m going to put Cedrick Lattimore at the four.

DI: Can Geno shoot?

Young: Yeah, Geno’s got a nice little shot.

DI: What’s your favorite video game of all time?

Young: I’m a big Madden fan, and I pretty much play the new one whenever it comes out. Big Madden guy. Not a specific year. Pretty much like them all when they come out.

DI: You get Madden 20 yet?

Young: Not yet. I’m thinking next month I’ll probably get it.

DI: What’s your favorite athletic clothing brand?

Young: I kind of mix them all. I pretty much like them all. I don’t got one specific one that I like.

DI: Who’s winning the Super Bowl this year?

Young: I’m a big Chicago Bears fan. Last year, we were close. I’m going with the Bears. Shout out James Daniels.

DI: What’s your dream job outside of football?

Young: I kind of have two. I would love to be an actor, acting in moves — that’d be super cool. I’d like to start my own nonprofit that creates opportunities for youth athletes in areas — like back in Madison, where I’m from. That’d be pretty cool.

DI: Do you have any secret talents that no one really knows about?

Young: I like to think I can sing. Half the people might say I can sing a little bit, half the people might say I can’t, but I believe I can sing.]

DI: What’s your most prized possession?

Young: That’s tough. That’s real tough. I’d have to go with my headphones because I love music. No matter what the vibe is, I can just always put my headphones in and just kind of unwind and relax.

DI: What’s the most recent show you watched on Netflix?

Young: I know it’s an older show, but I started watching Breaking Bad. I’m hooked on that. That’s a good one.