Make a Splash: The Best Pool Deck Materials to Last a Lifetime

Sponsored Content

Did you know that 36% of children aged 7-17 years old, and 15% of adults in the United States, swim at least six times per year?

Swimming is considered to be the fourth most popular recreational activity in the US. So, if you love swimming, you might consider getting a pool for your garden.

Swimming pools are great, however, they do need to be looked after and maintained. Keep reading to find out the best pool deck materials that can last a lifetime.

Cool Pool Deck Ideas You’ll Love

Firstly, there is a difference between pool coping and pool decking. Pool coping is the cap around the edge of your pool. Pool coping is usually around 12 inches wide and uses concrete or stone.

On the other hand, pool decking is the area around your swimming pool that can accommodate your furniture. Your pool decking allows you to create a unique atmosphere at your poolside.

One cool idea for your pool deck might be to install a barbeque area for pool parties so that you can entertain your guests and feed them some delicious BBQ food.

Another great idea for your deck area might be to create the perfect space for relaxation. You might opt to buy bespoke furniture that fits your personality and looks great by your pool.

Another great idea for your pool deck if you are on a budget, is to get some outdoor furniture such as chairs and sun loungers, or hammocks, and just make the space as inviting as possible.

What Are Your Pool Decking Options?

According to the Association of Pool & Spa Professionals (APSP), California, Florida, Texas, Arizona, and New York are the 5 top states in the US with households that have in-ground pools.

All the households across the United States have various decking for their pools. If you are thinking about your pool deck options, then you need to consider what material to use and what the pros and cons are of the different pool deck materials.

Consider Your Pool Deck Material

The first thing you need to consider when choosing the right pool deck surfaces isn’t the appearance of your pool, but rather the safety.

The material you choose needs to be safe and shouldn’t become slippy when wet. It also needs to be able to reflect heat to keep the surface cooler on hot days.

Other things you need to consider when choosing the right material for your deck is if it is resistant to algae, chemicals, mold, and frost. All of these could damage your decking and pool, which might be a costly endeavor in the long run.

Best Types of Pool Deck Materials

There is a whole range of pool deck materials, such as tile, stone, wood, concrete, artificial turf, pavers, brick, and many more. All have their pros and cons, however, these are the most popular and best options available.

Concrete

Many people choose concrete as their pool decking solution. Concrete is a great choice of decking because it is easy to maintain and feels great underfoot. It is also a good material because it doesn’t absorb heat, so you can avoid burning your feet.

You can get concrete professionally installed. It will provide your pool deck with a smooth surface that looks clean and simple. You can also choose from a variety of different colors so that your pool decks appearance fits in with your garden.

However, one con of using concrete is that it doesn’t have a textured finish to it, which means when wet it can become slippy. To avoid nasty poolside injuries, you can add some small pebbles to the concrete to make the surface slip-resistant.

Stone

Stone is a great choice for your pool deck area. Stone is available in a range of shapes and sizes, and colors, which means you can choose something that is right for you. There are even options for getting bespoke stone fitted (if you have the money for it).

Stone looks natural in your garden and most stone has enough texture to ensure it is slip-resistant. Flat stones which are used for paving purposes are known as flagstones, these are most common for pool decking. You can choose from quartzite, sandstone, limestone, granite, or porphyry.

However, one con is that darker stone colors can become quite hot in warmer temperatures. Another con is that this type of material can be quite expensive, especially if you choose a flagstone that isn’t quarried in your area.

Wood

Many Americans choose wood decking for their pool areas because it looks attractive and creates a simple and classic design in their garden. They also choose wood because there is a lot of varieties, which means that there is something for everyone.

Wood decking helps to ensure your garden looks natural and there are even many design options. For example, you can get decking with different patterns and styles to suit your personality and garden.

However, wood does have some cons, such as the decking needs to be maintained. Wood decks require seasonal maintenance, such as cleaning, sanding, and sealing.

Another con of wood decking is that it might give you splinters if you fail to maintain your deck.

For more details on how you can resurface your pool deck, check out this article.

The Best Pool Deck Materials

Choosing the right pool deck is very important for your pool. There is a range of styles and materials available that you can use. Remember that when you are choosing your pool decking that appearance isn’t everything and that your decking needs be safe.

Check out our blog for more information on how you can transform your garden, either by fitting a swimming pool or by landscaping your garden so it feels more welcoming.