Iowa City staple Java House celebrates 25 years of service

Local coffee shop Java House, a long-time favorite of the Iowa City community, is celebrating twenty-five years.

Raquele Decker

The Java House is seen on August 30, 2019.

Rin Swann, News Reporter

Clustered around laptops and open textbooks, University of Iowa students chew on the ends of their highlighters as they spread the contents of their backpacks across tables, a cup of Java House coffee resting beside their elbows. 

Java House is a local haunt for UI students, a common place to study and socialize, and this year marks the 25th birthday of the well-known Iowa City coffeehouse. 

The Java House has always had a significant history with the UI. The concept for the coffee shop was created by UI student Tara Cronbaugh in a senior year entrepreneurial class in 1993. One year later, Cronbaugh opened the first Java House on the second floor of Prairie Lights bookstore.

In the 25 years since, Java House has opened numerous locations on campus and in Iowa City. Though its contract to operate four locations in UI Hospitals and Clinics was discontinued last year, the coffeehouse still operates on campus at the IMU and Pappajohn Biomedical Discovery Building.

Java House maintains five locations in total and makes its food at a bakery and roastery. A new location in North Liberty is expected to be unveiled in October. 

“I think we have a lot more to offer,” said Maddie Kaalberg, the Assistant Manager at the IMU Java House. “We have started making changes to our menus, which has really opened up different things.” 

New drinks include the cookies and cream frappé, monster frappé, and the return of the pumpkin spice latte, she said. Java House has also begun to focus on its new wholesale coffee and plans to add a drive-through at the North Liberty location, which Kaalberg said is a first for the company.

Despite upcoming changes, Kaalberg emphasized that Java House remains committed to serve quality coffee. 

“My favorite part of working here is the relationships I’ve built over the years,” Kaalberg said about the regulars she serves daily. “I really love being able to serve them faster the more I see them, and they really do appreciate the service I provide.”

According to multiple customers of the coffeehouse, the quality service and the fact that it is a local business is a major reason why they continue to support it. 

Java House regular Maranda Stephens said she prefers the local atmosphere of Java House compared with major coffee corporations such as Starbucks. 

“I like to stay with local,” Stephens said. “I only go to Starbucks if there is nothing else around, and any time I’m out of town, I always try to find a local place.”

UI student Sadie Carrasco said she has come to Java House ever since her arrival on campus two weeks ago.

“I love it so much,” Carrasco said. “They just have really good drinks. It’s a great way to start the day.” 

Carrasco added that she will likely continue to choose Java House for her caffeine fix.

“[Java House] just makes me feel close to home,” Carrasco said.