Grading Iowa football’s performance against Miami (Ohio)

Iowa posted a solid day across the board against the RedHawks, although nothing extraordinary.

Katie Goodale

Tight end Nate Wieting stands during Iowa football vs. Miami (Ohio) at Kinnick Stadium on Aug. 31, 2019. Iowa defeated the Miami (Ohio) 38-14.

Pete Ruden, Pregame Editor

Offense: B+

If this was based solely on the second half, the grade would be more in the A-range. Luckily for Iowa, it responded incredibly well to Alaric Jackson’s injury both on the ground and in the air.

The offense made plenty of plays, and quarterback Nate Stanley used almost everyone, completing a pass to 10 different receivers. 

Mekhi Sargent took the role of a Swiss army knife, leading the team in rushing and receiving.

Oliver Martin’s touchdown on his first career reception as a Hawkeye gives the offense bonus points.

Defense: B-

The Miami (Ohio) game was a season-opener, and it looked like it in the first half. The biggest negative for Iowa was the explosive plays it gave up, leading to RedHawk touchdowns. The pass rush also didn’t quite live up to expectations, leading to a single sack by Amani Jones on third down.

Related: Iowa offensive line stays strong in wake of Jackson injury

A Michael Ojemudia interception helped the cause, though, and one touchdown a half isn’t the worst.

Special Terms: B

Iowa’s special teams were average against the RedHawks. 

Kicker Keith Duncan performed well in his first meaningful playing time since 2016, hitting a field goal and 5 extra points. 

Other than that, a 31-yard punt from Michael Sleep-Dalton, 16 punt return yards from Nico Ragaini, and 19 kick return yards by Ihmir Smith-Marsette led to an average day. Not bad, not great.