Iowa football’s Jackson expected to return during season

Alaric Jackson went down with an injury on Saturday, but the All-Big Ten tackle is expected to return during the season.

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep

Iowa offensive linemen Alaric Jackson embraces Purdue safety Navon Mosley during the Iowa/Purdue football game in Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 18, 2017. The Boilermakers defeated the Hawkeyes, 24-15. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Pete Ruden, Pregame Editor

When Hawkeye offensive tackle Alaric Jackson went down with an apparent knee injury against Miami (Ohio) on Saturday, a problem arose as Iowa lost one of its best players on the offensive side of the ball.

Luckily for the Hawkeyes, that problem won’t last all season.

Jackson is expected to return at some point this season, although it will take at least a couple weeks.

“They did tests [Sunday] and were hopeful it wouldn’t be anything overly serious,” Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz told Hawkeye Sports. “Every injury is serious, but the good news is, it doesn’t look like it will necessitate any kind of surgery. I think we’re looking at a matter of weeks right now, but it could have been a lot worse.”

Jackson, who went down with 4:58 remaining in the first quarter, rode a stationary bike on the sidelines and was later put on crutches.

The Hawkeyes play Rutgers on Saturday before facing Iowa State in the annual Cy-Hawk game on Sept. 14. Then, Iowa receives a well-timed bye week before taking on Middle Tennessee State on Sept. 28.