Hawkeye soccer defeats Redbirds to stay unbeaten

Iowa soccer almost lost a 3-1 lead, but a late goal from Emma Tokuyama put the Hawkeyes on top.

Megan Nagorzanski

Iowa forward Kaleigh Haus controls a pass during Iowa’s match against Illinois State on Sunday, September 1, 2019. The Hawkeyes defeated the Red Birds 4-3.

Isaac Goffin, Sports Reporter

The Iowa soccer team finished its season-opening four-game homestand with a 4-3 victory over Illinois State on Sunday, moving to 4-0-0 on the season.

The game was not decided until the 77th minute when senior forward Emma Tokuyama scored the game-winner, with the assist coming from freshman forward Gianna Gourley.

The goal came after the Hawkeyes squandered a 3-1 lead from the first half.

“[It] was just a little bit of a relief from giving up the lead and being able to get it back,” Tokuyama said.

Head coach Dave DiIanni was conflicted with how the game went because the team did great attacking by outshooting the Redbirds, 22-7 and having 11 corner kicks, compared to the Redbirds’ three.

“Attacking-wise, I thought that was the best game we’ve had this year,” DiIanni said. “What we worked on in training was evident right from the beginning. Again, I think we left some goals that would’ve made the game easy, not only in the first half but the second half.”

It was a different story on the other side.

“Defensively, we have a few things we need to work on,” DiIanni said. “They’ve festered up the past couple games, and we’re going to score goals. This team is going to score goals. Defensively, we got to be a bit better to play against.”

The scoring started fast for the Hawkeyes redshirt senior forward Kaleigh Haus scored a goal on a header less than a minute in. Though the goal went under review, it stood.

“We just got in the middle of the huddle and Hannah [Drkulec] looked at all the forwards and said we got to score in the first 30 seconds, and I guess that’s what we did — put it back in the net,” Haus said. “They actually did that to us last year in the first 30 seconds so that was kind of a little payback to them.”

Thirteen minutes later, senior forward Devin Burns scored another goal, this time from the top of the box.

It didn’t take long for the Redbirds to come up with a goal of their own, however, as senior midfielder Kate Del Fava scored in the 22nd minute.

Gourley recorded another goal with a header in the 27th minute.

It looked as if the Hawkeyes would go into the half with a 3-1 lead, but Del Fava scored another goal for the Redbirds in the 44th minute, making it a one-score game at halftime.

There was a switch at goalkeeper at halftime; senior Claire Graves was subbed out for redshirt freshman Monica Wilhelm. Still, Del Fava scored another goal, giving her the hat trick as the Redbirds tied the game. The feat wasn’t enough to put Illinois State in front, however.

This was the Hawkeyes’ first four-win start since the 2015 season. Next, they go on the road to play against a ranked North Carolina State team on Thursday and North Carolina-Greensboro on Sept. 8.

“A big thing from last year is that we didn’t do so well on the road,” Haus said. “We were undefeated at home but on the road, we weren’t so great.

“So, it’s keeping that momentum, and if our momentum does change, we know we can flip it back.”

The team will return home on Sept. 13 to play Northern Colorado at 7 p.m.