Former Hawkeye Jeff Horner announces cancer diagnosis

Former Iowa guard Jeff Horner announced his cancer diagnosis on Twitter Thursday.

Ben Roberts/The Daily Iowan University of Iowa starting point guard Jeff Horner flies past Wisconsin’s Clayton Hanson during a 54-52 loss to the Badgers on Wednesday evening in Iowa City.

Pete Ruden, Pregame Editor

Former Iowa basketball guard Jeff Horner has been diagnosed with testicular cancer and has cancerous lymph nodes in the groin area, he tweeted Thursday.

Horner, Iowa’s all-time assists leader and current Truman State head coach, wrote he was diagnosed on Aug. 13 and will begin chemotherapy treatment at the University of Missouri on Sept. 3, which will last for 12 weeks.

He also underwent surgery and had blood tests, CT scans, PET scans, and a port put in, he wrote.

“I was hesitant to put anything on social media, but with all the support and prayers I have been receiving there has been a struggle to thank everyone and keep people updated,” Horner wrote. “I apologize if I have missed getting back to people, but I wanted to let everyone know it means the absolute world to me.

“The next 12 weeks will probably be the toughest time of my life, but the prognosis is a 98% survival rate. My support system has been everything I could ask for and more in this situation. I want to thank everyone out there for being a shoulder to lean on and in 12 weeks you will see me roaming the sidelines once again!”

Horner recorded 612 assists in his career, and he ranks second in Iowa history with 262 3-pointers in his career. Iowa guard Jordan Bohannon passed Horner’s mark — which stood since 2006 — last season.

After his Hawkeye career, Horner played professionally for Euphony Bree, Paris Basket Racing, and the NBA D-League’s Iowa Energy.

Horner also coached the Iowa-based Iowa United basketball team in The Basketball Tournament in July.